Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fire on Lansdowne Avenue

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fire on Pritchard Avenue


Released: 10:49 a.m.

Winnipeg, MB – At 1:08 a.m. on Sunday, October 23, 2022, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responded to reports of a fire in a bi-level house in the 700 block of Pritchard Avenue.

When crews arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from the house. Two individuals had self-evacuated the house and bystanders reported one person remained trapped in the house.

Crews launched an offensive fire attack and began searching the house. The missing individual was located by firefighters, carried outside to waiting paramedics, and was transported to hospital in critical condition. Paramedics also assessed the two residents who self-evacuated the home and transported one of them to hospital in stable condition.

The fire was declared under control at 1:44 a.m.

Crews rescued two cats from the home. Four additional cats were located deceased in the house.

Damage estimates are not available at this time. Preliminary observations suggest the fire was accidental, caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials. Residents are reminded of the following safety tips:

  • Smoking material should always be extinguished in a proper ashtray or deep metal container.
  • Wet cigarette butts and matches before putting them in a garbage container to prevent them from smouldering and starting a fire.
  • Never smoke in bed, and avoid smoking while seated on couches or arm chairs – especially if you think you might fall asleep. Take extra care when you’re tired, taking prescription drugs, or have been drinking alcohol.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach, and buy child resistant lighters.
  • Cigarette butts should never be thrown from balconies, car windows, or disposed of near any vegetation such as grass, leaves or brush.
  • Never use a plant pot as an ashtray. Potting soil is a mix of dirt and a number of combustible organic materials such as peat moss, shredded wood and minerals which are combustible. When a butt is put into a planter, it can smolder for several hours. Once the container heats up, it can crack, giving the smoldering material oxygen and the opportunity to spread to other combustibles such as decks, balconies, walls, etc.

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fire on Lansdowne Avenue


Released: 7:53 p.m.

Winnipeg, MB – At 5:32 p.m. on Sunday, October 23, 2022, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responded to reports of a fire in a two-storey house in the 300 block of Lansdowne Avenue.

At the scene, crews quickly extinguished a small fire in the kitchen. Paramedics treated one person and transported them to a hospital in stable condition.

The cause of the fire is considered accidental due to unattended cooking. Residents are reminded of the following safety strategies:

  • Always stay in the kitchen while cooking. Stove burners should always be turned off when leaving the kitchen, even for a short time.
  • Anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — should always be kept away from the stovetop.
  • Oil should always be heated slowly. If cooking oil catches fire and the fire is small and manageable, use a kitchen fire extinguisher or cover the pot with a metal lid. Never use water to put out an oil fire.
  • Learn about the cooking safety and how to prevent a fire in your kitchen.
  • Everyone should have an escape plan for their home and practice it often.


Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.

View original article here Source