City recognizes park improvements at Hazelwood Crescent Park
Released: 1:03 p.m.
Winnipeg, MB – Mayor Brian Bowman and Councillor Brian Mayes participated in a ribbon cutting today to recognize park improvements at Hazelwood Crescent Park in the St. Vital ward. The project included enhancing safety in the park’s play area and improving access to the site.
“When we have a well-used and appreciated playground like this one is, it is important that we’re able to ensure it remains safe and accessible for those who enjoy it,” said Mayor Brian Bowman. “Whether it’s for play during recess or over the weekend, we know these improvements will really benefit students at Dr. D.W. Penner School and young families in the area.”
“This park is a cherished community space and I am very pleased to see improvements made that will benefit the neighbourhood and Dr. D.W. Penner School,” said Councillor Brian Mayes, St. Vital. “My own mom taught kindergarten at Penner during the 1980s, and I am very proud to support this school and its student all these years later.”
The project included replacing the safety surfacing under the existing play areas, installing a new 2-5 year old play equipment area, and replacing the path and ramp with crushed limestone and extending the path to Hazelwood Crescent. The total project cost was $129,000, funded from the 2019 Parks and Recreation Enhancement Program and 2020 Golf Lands Repurposing Review and Recreation Amenities.
Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fire on Salter Street
Released: 2:38 p.m.
Winnipeg, MB – At 11:02 a.m. on October 2, 2020, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to reports of a fire in a two-storey duplex in the 300 block of Salter Street.
When WFPS arrived on scene, crews encountered smoke coming from the house and launched and offensive attack. The fire was declared under control at 11:37 a.m.
All occupants of the home safely self-evacuated prior to the arrival of crews, and no injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to unattended cooking. Residents are reminded of the following safety strategies:
- Always stay in the kitchen while cooking. Stove burners should always be turned off when leaving the kitchen, even for a short time.
- Anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — should always be kept away from the stovetop.
- Oil should always be heated slowly. If cooking oil catches fire and the fire is small and manageable, use a kitchen fire extinguisher or cover the pot with a metal lid. Never use water to put out an oil fire.
No damage estimates are available at this time.
View original article here Source