Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fires on Salter Street and Sherbrook Street
Released: 8:59 a.m.
Winnipeg, MB – The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responded to two overnight structure fires.
Salter Street Fire
At 12:00 a.m. on Monday, September 27, 2021, officers in the Winnipeg Police Service’s AIR1 helicopter came across a fire in the 500 block of Salter Street and reported it to the WFPS.
Upon arrival on scene, WFPS crews found a fire involving several vehicles that extended to an adjacent commercial building. The vehicle fires were extinguished and crews launched an offensive attack to knock down the fire in the structure. The fire was declared under control at 1:31 a.m.
Crews completed a search of the structure and there were no occupants found. No injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation. No damage estimates are available at this time.
Sherbrook Street Fire
At 3:27 a.m. on Monday, September 27, 2021, the WFPS responded to reports of a structure fire in the 400 block of Sherbrook Street.
Upon arrival on scene, crews encountered heavy smoke and flames coming from a detached garage. Crews launched a fire attack and the fire was declared under control at 3:52 a.m. It did not extend to the neighbouring house.
No injuries were reported. The fire remains under investigation. No damage estimates are available at this time.
Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to three fires and a gas leak
Released: 7:49 p.m.
Winnipeg, MB – The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to three structure fires and a gas leak on Monday, September 27, 2021.
Osborne Street Fire
At 6:37 p.m., the WFPS responded to reports of a fire in a three-storey commercial building in the 100 block of Osborne Street.
Upon arrival on scene, crews encountered smoke coming from the structure. An offensive attack was launched and the fire was very quickly brought under control, aided by the building’s sprinkler system.
No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire is under investigation. Damage estimates are not available at this time.
Donwood Drive Fire
At 5:17 p.m., the WFPS responded to reports of a fire in a two-storey townhouse complex on Donwood Drive.
When crews arrived on scene, they encountered smoke coming from one of the units. An offensive attack was launched and the fire was declared under control at 5:38 p.m.
All occupants of the building safely self-evacuated. No injuries were reported. Crews located one dog deceased in the unit.
Damage estimates are not currently available. Preliminary observations suggest the fire was accidental, caused by unattended cooking. Residents are reminded of the following safety tips to reduce the risk of kitchen fires:
- Always stay in the kitchen while cooking.
- Oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, or curtains should be kept away from the stovetop.
- Oil should be heated slowly. If cooking oil catches fire and the fire is small and manageable, use a kitchen fire extinguisher or cover the top with a metal lid.
- Never use water to put out an oil fire.
Roslyn Road Fire
At 1:27 p.m., the WFPS responded to reports of a fire in a five-storey apartment building in the 100 block of Roslyn Road.
Upon arrival on scene, crews encountered smoke in the building. An offensive attack was launched and the fire contained to a single suite, with crews declaring it under control at 1:37 p.m. No injuries were reported.
Damage estimates are not available at this time. The fire is believed to be accidental, caused by the improper use of incense. Residents are reminded to always take special care when using incense or candles, always following these safety tips:
- Never leave lit candles or incense unattended.
- Use approved non-combustible candleholders or incense bases, and place them on a firm, non-slip surface.
- Avoid putting lit candles and incense in a drafty area to prevent uneven burning and wax dripping.
- Extinguish a candle when it burns down to within two inches of its holder or base.
- Keep candles and incense away from any flammable materials, decorations, curtains, or other combustible material like bedding or cushions.
- Keep candle wicks trimmed to half an inch and remove excess wax before storage. Long, crooked wicks can cause uneven burning and wax drippings
- Always keep candles, matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
McDermot Avenue Gas Leak
At 12:29 p.m., the WFPS responded to reports of a gas leak in the 300 block of McDermot Avenue.
When crews arrived on scene, they encountered a natural gas line that was damaged during construction activities. As a precaution, several nearby buildings were temporarily evacuated. WFPS crews also monitored gas readings in adjacent buildings until the leak was pinched off by Manitoba Hydro.
McDermot Avenue will remain closed between Adelaide Street and Hargrave Street until Manitoba Hydro completes necessary repairs.
View original article here Source