EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Internal/External Posting
Alternative Care Worker
Full Time Contract Position for one year with possible extension
Location – Kenora
The Alternative Care Worker (ACW) is responsible for providing direct services to Alternative Care Homes and Agency Operated Homes where children have been placed in emergency, temporary, or long-term care. The ACW ensures the needs of the children are met, provides case management services to caregivers, respite workers, and one-to-one workers according to Anishinaabe Abinoojii Family Services (AAFS) philosophy, First Nation standards, provincial regulations and licensing requirements. The ACW reports to the Resource Manager-Alternative Care in all aspects of job function.
• Master of Social Work Degree or Bachelor of Social Work Degree. However, a combination of education, experience and skills may be considered
• Thorough knowledge of the Child Youth and Family Services Act and Regulations, Customary Care and the philosophy of service delivery, First Nation communities, family structure, and local customs and traditions
• Working knowledge of the administrative structure and operations of AAFS including case management model, policies, procedures, guidelines, and protocols
• Extensive experience in the recruitment and supervision of Alternative Care Homes, Agency Operated Homes, including respite workers and one-to-one workers
• Expert knowledge of provincial Foster Care licensing standards such as, but not limited to, assessments of caregivers, interviews, medical information, Vulnerable Sector Checks, reference checks, mandatory visits, home study requirements and approval process, annual home study reviews, serious occurrence reporting, and physical home inspections
• Working knowledge of a child’s Plan of Care with proven ability to assist caregivers and one-to-one workers to complete their assigned tasks as set out in each Plan of Care
• Proven ability to complete case recordings and related documentation within legislated timelines
• Proven ability to support and advocate for caregivers and workers including orientation, training, and crisis intervention as needed
• Ability to consult with and take direction from the Resource Manager-Alternative Care
• Excellent communication, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills
• Committed to highest level of confidentiality at all times
• Must provide after hours On-Call duties as part of a rotating schedule
• Must possess a valid Ontario G Driver’s License, be willing to travel and provide a Driver Abstract, and
• Ability to speak Anishinaabemowin is preferred and a definite asset.
The work is performed in an interior and office environment located in the offices of AAFS. The position requires a normal range of hearing and clear speaking voice to answer phones and to sit for extended periods of time, walk, stand, stretch, bend, crouch, kneel and lift/carry up to 30 pounds. Use of hands, fingers and arms to hold a telephone, type, photocopy and fax. Occasional stress from fast-paced and varying demands with moderate to high noise level.
AAFS requires all employees, contractors, students, and volunteers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, absent of a valid medical exemption or other reasonable consideration pursuant to the Human Rights Code of Ontario.
Salary Range: $58,258- $71,449 per annum
Benefits: This contract position is eligible for 4 weeks paid vacation, Extended Health, Dental, AD&D and Group Life benefits and voluntary participation in the AAFS Pension program.
We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the First Nations communities that we serve. Preference will be given to Internal and/or Indigenous applicants. Please self-identify upon applying.
AAFS welcomes and encourages applications from peoples with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request.
Applicants resumes may be used to create a qualified candidates list for recruitment of other positions within our organization.
IF THIS EXCITING OPPORTUNITY INTERESTS YOU, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME WITH COVER LETTER QOUTING FILE #ACW20221207 to:
Human Resources Manager by E-mail to AAFS.HumanResources@aafs.ca
or c/o 20 Main Street South, Kenora, Ontario P9N 1S7 or Fax: (807) 548-1345
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT APPLICATION IS: WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 07, 2022 @ 4:30PM
View original article here Source