Aquatic / Terrestrial Biologist
BL2 Biologist 2
Environmental Services & Consultation, Technical Services & Operations
Advertisement Number: 37874
Salary(s): BL2 $63,652.00 – $80,223.00 per year
Closing Date: July 11, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
**The Aquatic / Terrestrial Biologist BL2 classification is under review.
Operating within the Environmental Services and Consultation Branch of Manitoba Infrastructure, the Environmental Services Section is responsible for ensuring that Manitoba Infrastructure integrates environmental stewardship into all activities and that all operations and projects comply with provincial and federal environmental legislation.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must possess and maintain a valid Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
- Must be able to travel to work sites within the province by ground, air transportation and boat and stay overnight as required.
- Must be able to work occasional extended hours or periods of time as project demands.
- Must be able to work in rough terrain, adverse weather conditions, and wear Personal Protective Equipment when required.
- Must be able to stand for periods of time, bend, twist, and lift up to 25 Kilograms.
- Degree in biological science, environmental science, resources management, or environmental engineering or similar combination of advanced education and directly related experience.
- Experience in the development and/or review of environmental assessments.
- Experience in the evaluation and implementation of aquatic and/or terrestrial habitat mitigation and restoration solutions.
- Experience developing and presenting defendable scientific analysis and conclusions.
- Experience in initial site investigations and environmental monitoring of aquatic and/or terrestrial habitats associated with construction works.
- Experience with a variety of field based activities and equipment, e.g., GPS devices, map reading, fish, bird, and wetland habitat assessments.
- Knowledge of environmental control techniques and best practices such as Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) practices, fish habitat protection, bird nesting mitigation measures.
- Knowledge and understanding of current scientific and regulatory legislation, statutes, acts, policies and guidelines, including, but not limited to, the Federal Fisheries Act, the Canadian Navigable Waters Act, the Manitoba Environment Act, and the Species At Risk Act.
- Excellent organizational & time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
The Aquatic & Terrestrial Biologist reports to the Manager of Environmental Services and has experience in the field of aquatic and/or terrestrial sciences. The position provides technical support in the areas of environmental assessment, approval submissions, environmental protection measures, and compliance monitoring.
Advertisement # 37874
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3H8
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source