Aquifer Data and Groundwater Quality Hydrogeologist
GE3 Geologist 3
Agriculture and Resource Development
Water Science and Watershed Management Branch, Water Stewardship & Biodiversity
Advertisement Number: 36948
Salary(s): GE3 $74,525.00 – $94,581.00 per year
Closing Date: February 22, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 driver’s licence with good driving record.
- Must be registered as a Professional Geoscientist or Engineer with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. Professional Geoscientists/Engineers licensed to practice in other Canadian jurisdictions must be eligible for registration as a Professional Geoscientist/Engineer with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba.
- Must be physically capable of performing the duties of the position, including lifting up to 50 lbs, and conducting field work under various weather conditions for extended periods of time.
- Must be willing and able to travel with occasional overnight stays.
- Must be willing and able to work overtime as required.
- Degree in Science or Engineering with post graduate specializing in Hydrogeology or an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience in the evaluation and assessment of groundwater conditions and water quality at the local, aquifer or regional scales.
- Experience assessing the origin and fate of anthropogenic and naturally occurring groundwater contamination.
- Experience managing large data sets including developing protocols, quality assurance procedures and creating databases to store and retrieve data.
- Experience test drilling and logging samples in geologic terrane similar to Manitoba including the design and installation of groundwater monitoring wells and evaluation of monitoring well data.
- Experience evaluating and/or providing advice on groundwater protection and/or remediation.
- Supervisory experience including scheduling and expectations, training and development, attendance management and managing performance issues.
- Experience in Project management including planning and conducting projects to completion, leading staff and contractors; managing budgets and allocating fiscal resources.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage competing priorities with fluctuating deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively with diverse clients and stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Strong written communication skills with experience preparing, reviewing and writing complex technical reports to suport major decision making.
- Experience in the use of statistical procedures for evaluating groundwater and aquifers.
The Data & Groundwater Quality Hydrogeologist is responsible for overseeing the management of groundwater data, and the assessment and reporting of groundwater quality. The position will carry out groundwater quality assessments from provincial observation wells and other sources. The incumbant will provide technical review of various developments for groundwater protection, provide expert assessment and input to other groups and agencies and review of groundwater monitoring results.
Advertisement # 36948
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3B 2A9
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source