LS3 ASL Consultant
Department of Education
Student Achievement and Inclusion Division, Inclusion Support Branch
Advertisement Number: 37744
Salary(s): LS3 $46,394.00 – $55,321.00 per year
Closing Date: July 13, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
The Inclusion Support Branch within the Student Achievement & Inclusion Division of the Department of Education is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of American Sign Languague (ASL) Consultant.
The Manitoba Government has a comprehensive benefit package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave, and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers).
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL)
- Must provide and maintain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Ability to travel within Manitoba as required
- Demonstrated work experience teaching ASL and working with students who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing. Relevant post-secondary education and/or work experience may also be considered.
- Demonstrates fluency in American Sign Language (ASL).
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work with educational partners and multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience developing print and electronic resources to support the ASL development of students and staff.
- Experience using technology to facilitate virtual communication in a professional setting.
- Knowledge of both Deaf and Hearing cultures.
- Ability to handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Manitoba’s school system structure and curriculum
- Knowledge of ASL linguistics
The ASL Consultant works collaboratively with members of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing Consultant Team (DHHCT) to develop and implement American Sign Language (ASL) programming directly to students who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing (D/HH), including instruction in the foundations of ASL such as grammatical structure, vocabulary, classifiers, non-manual markers, etc. and provides ASL language models. The ASL Consultant also works with members of the DHHCT to provide information about Deaf culture, history and identity, self-advocacy, and access to community organizations that provide services and resources. The ASL Consultant acts as a direct support to K-12 students, school staff and school community, and assists with the American Sign Language challenge for credit for high school students and the Educational Interpreter Performance assessment.
Advertisement # 37744
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3G 3P2
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source