ASL/English Interpreter CLOSING DATE AMENDED
LS2 Educational Assistant 2
Department of Education
Manitoba School for the Deaf, ISB, K-12 Education
Advertisement Number: 36588
Salary(s): LS2 $44,105.00 – $52,333.00 per year
Closing Date: November 1, 2020
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
A detailed position description is available upon request.
The Manitoba School for the Deaf is looking to recruit an American Sign Language(ASL)/English Interpreter to the Deaf and Hard of Hearing services unit.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be able to travel throughout the Province and some overnight stays are required.
- Must be able to produce and maintain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check.
- Must be a member in good standing with the Canadian Association of Sign Language Interpreter (CASLI, Formerly AVLIC)
- Graduate from an accredited post-secondary American Sign Language (ASL) /English Interpreter Program.
- Experience in interpreting between American Sign Language( ASL) and English.
- Experience with simultaneous and consecutive interpreting in a variety of environments including educational ones.
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Strong oral communication skills in English.
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL).
- Experience translating ASL to English print.
- Knowledge of Bilingual-Bicultural meeting environments.
- Knowledge of research and current developments in the field.
The American Sign Language(ASL)/English Interpreter is a specialized position which provides ASL and English interpretation and facilitates communication between Deaf and hearing people. The ASL/English Interpreter is fluent in both American Sign Language and spoken English and provides simultaneous, consecutive, escort and educational interpreting services within the Inclusion Support Branch, the Manitoba School for the Deaf and in public settings. In addition to ensuring accessible communication for educators, outside agencies, families and students, the ASL/English Interpreter facilitates communication between staff in the department who are Deaf and their hearing colleagues, assists in providing access to supports and services available to all staff and provides interpreter services at public events put on by the Inclusion Support Branch (ISB).Interpreting may be provided for: various meetings or consultation at the Manitoba School for the Deaf (MSD) or across Manitoba with members of the Consultant Outreach Team; conferences/presentations; and in the classroom setting at MSD or off-campus programs (which may include some tutoring). The incumbent will also be responsible for translation, transliteration, transcribing, and phone/videophone interpreting. Preparation for interpreting assignments is a critical element of this position.
Advertisement # 36588
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3G 3P2
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source