Assessment Officer 4, AS4 (multiple positions)
AS4 Assessment Officer
Thompson MB, Selkirk MB, Souris MB, Steinbach MB, Swan River MB, Brandon MB
Advertisement Number: 36866
Salary(s): AS4 $60,068.00 – $72,097.00 per year
Closing Date: December 22, 2020
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and may remain in effect for 12 months. This competition may be used to appoint successful candidate(s) to current and future regular, term or acting status appointments in various locations subject to staffing approval.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Please indicate in your application the specific location(s) that you are applying for. Failure to do so may exclude you for placement consideration in these locations.
The department is looking to fill multiple positions of Assessment Officer 4 focusing on the inspections and assessments of residential, farm and commercial properties in various locations in Manitoba (Selkirk, Steinbach, Souris, Brandon, Thompson & Swan River) within the Assessment Services Branch under Municipal Capacity and Assessment Division. This is the full-working level in the field of property assessment and requires significant knowledge and experience on property assessment best practices, policies, legislation and mass appraisal. Candidates who do not fully meet all criteria will be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be able to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check prior to being hired
- Must be willing and able to work overtime as required
- Must be willing and able to travel throughout the assessment district and within Manitoba, with occasional overnight stays
- Must have and maintain a valid class 5 license
- Accreditation as an Assessor by the Association of Assessment Officers of Manitoba (AAOM), or an equivalent accrediting body. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Candidates with pending accreditation due for completion within one year from date of hire may be considered on an underfill basis.
- Considerable experience conducting inspections and assessments of complex properties for taxation purposes preferably at the Assessment Officer 3 level or an equivalent work experience
- Solid knowledge of various methods of valuation, properties verification and classification and mass appraisal/assessment theory
- Comprehensive knowledge of all Acts, Laws and Regulations pertaining to valuation and property assessment in MB
- Excellent verbal communication skills for articulating ideas and conducting presentations before various audiences including board of revision
- Excellent written communication skills for communicating simple to complex information to all levels of audiences
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain relationships with staff, clients, as well as internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work both individually and as part of a team
- Excellent organizational and time management skills for prioritizing competing and multiple demands in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in MS Suite such as Word, Powerpoint and Excel
- Knowledge of other computer systems in support of assessment functions
Under the direction of the District Supervisor and the guidance of Valuation Coordinators, you will conduct inspection of all types of residential, farm and commercial properties; record specific factors that affect property value; and assign assessed value(s), classification(s) and liability to taxation within strict legislated guidelines. You may also participate in the reassessment of properties wherein you will be expected to verify new land rates, building modifiers, capitalization rates, market rents and expenses and vacancy losses. You will respond to various information requests of ratepayers within district boundaries; communicate complex assessment information to the public, municipal council and staff; and defend assessments at Boards of Revision and Municipal Board hearings. You may assist in the training of other Assessment Staff and in conducting quality control analysis.
Advertisement # 36866
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3G 3P2
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source