Attorney, Legal Aid Manitoba
Legal Aid Manitoba
The Pas MB
Advertisement Number: 40042
Salary(s): BB1-2 $80,191.00 – $137,290.00 per year Plus Retention Allowance ($12,000 annually) and Remoteness Allowance
Closing Date: November 4, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Legal Aid Manitoba provides the successful candidate with the opportunity to travel via small plane and automobile to remote court settings in Northern First Nations and towns. The position provides an excellent opportunity to a lawyer wishing to gain or improve their experience acting as duty counsel, conducting trials, arguing charter motions and assist senior counsel or taking the lead on major files such as homicides.
The Pas is approximately 600 KM Northwest of Winnipeg, near the Saskatchewan border. The town has approximately 5,000 residents and is full of recreational and outdoor activities such as kayaking, cross country skiing, fishing and is close to beautiful Clearwater Lake Provincial park.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Regisgtry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Must be a member in good standing or eligible for membership with the Law Society of Manitoba
- The ability to travel within the province
- Experience litigating in the field of Criminal Defence Law
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with the public, clients, support staff, government agencies and professionals
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to manage a high volume of cases and work independently and effectively to meet critical deadlines and billing targets established by Management
- Ability to maintain accurate and timely electronic recording of case detail and time information
- Ability to use electronic information and document management systems
- Experience litigating in the field of Family Law
- Experience litigating in the field of Child Protection Law
The incumbent is required to attend court in The Pas and at circuit points in Northern Manitoba. This position will manage an assigned caseload in an efficient and effective manner, keep up-to-date, accurate time and billing records, meet billing targets as established by Management, assist other lawyers in their office as a member of the office’s legal team, as well as performing other related duties as assigned.
Advertisement # 40042
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source