Bilingual Legal Assistant
CL4 Clerk 4
Legislative Counsel Division
Advertisement Number: 37894
Salary(s): CL4 $48,399.00 – $55,132.00 per year
Closing Date: September 6, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Applicants may be asked to complete a written test in English and French.
This position is Designated Bilingual. The successful candidate must be able to communicate verbally and in writing in both official languages (English and French).
The Legislative Counsel Division is responsible for drafting, translating and publishing the laws of Manitoba. It provides drafting and translation services for legislation (Acts and regulations) to all government departments and provides related legal advice. The Division also provides legislative and parliamentary translation services to the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba. In addition, the Division operates and maintains the Manitoba Laws website. The Legislative Counsel Division offers a positive working environment. We value and support continuous learning, collaboration and a commitment to excellence.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be bilingual (French and English)
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Evening and weekend work as required
- Excellent French written communication skills with the ability to write and proofread documents based on precedents in accordance with proper grammar, spelling and terminology
- Excellent French verbal communication skills
- Excellent English verbal communication skills
- Excellent English written communication skills
- Superior attention to detail and ability to ensure accuracy of work
- Ability to take initiative and work independently to assist in the efficiency and effectiveness of the Division
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to produce quality work in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain working relationships in a manner conducive to a positive working environment
- Ability to manage confidential and politically sensitive material or situations in an appropriate manner
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word and Outlook) or equivalent software applications
- Post secondary education or training in a related field
- Experience working in a translation or editing environment
- Experience working with legislation
- Experience with more complex features of word processing or database software, such as macros in Word or formulas in Excel
This position primarily provides support to the jurilinguists of the office’s Legislative and Parliamentary Translation Branch, and the Legal Assistant’s role is central to the work of the branch. The Legal Assistant must be able to assess information in French and English, work independently and creatively to assist the branch in its objective to serve the government and the Legislative Assembly, and produce high-quality work within established timelines. The Legal Assistant must be able to review, analyze and interpret information, identify issues and deficiencies, perform drafting and translation of basic documents and maintain proper version control, and perform research necessary to locate, gather, organize and provide essential information to jurilinguists and lawyers.
Advertisement # 37894
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source