Bilingual Members’ Services Librarian
LN2 Librarian 2
Department of Sport, Culture and Heritage
Legislative Library, Provincial Services
Advertisement Number: 34814
Salary(s): LN2 $50,593.00 – $62,943.00 per year
Closing Date: August 2, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
This position is Designated Bilingual. The incumbent must be fluent in both official languages (English and French). To receive consideration for this position, candidates must submit their application in both English and French. Those selected for further consideration will be assessed on their ability to communicate verbally and in writing in both English and French.
As part of the Manitoba Legislative Library, a branch in Sport, Culture and Heritage, the Bilingual Members’ Services Librarian is responsible for the coordination and delivery of specialized library and research assistance to Members of the Legislative Assembly, staff of the Legislative Assembly and provincial government employees through operation of the Legislative Reading Room and its storage site.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be able to communicate fluently in English and French.
- Masters degree in Library and Information Science. A combination of relevant education and work experience may also be considered.
- Experience in providing library reference services in a government, research or academic library.
- Thorough knowledge of reference services and techniques in order to conduct complex research tasks and reference interviews.
- Ability to to provide electronic reference services using Windows-based desktop tools, Internet resources and automated library systems.
- Demonstrated ability to improve client service.
- Understanding of current issues and trends in libraries and information technology and their application to customer service.
- Ability to contribute to team processes and effectiveness.
- Ability to foster respectful work relationships and reflect organizational values.
- Knowledge of authoritative reference and information sources appropriate for a government library.
- Excellent verbal communication in English and French in order to provide effective and accurate information services in person and by telephone.
- Excellent written communication skills in English and French to respond to e-mail requests and read government documents.
- Demonstrated political acumen, ability to work with confidential information, and diplomacy.
Reporting to the Head, Reference Services, the Bilingual Members’ Services Librarian provides non-partisan, confidential information services to Members of the Legislative Assembly, caucus researchers and interns, Legislative Assembly staff, government employees and the public. Duties include conducting in-person and telephone reference interviews to determine information needs; processing research and resource requests received by e-mail; analyzing client requests and developing search strategies; conducting searches for research requests using the Library’s catalogues and indexes, the Internet, as well as an evolving selection of fee-based electronic databases; assisting with research projects for the Officers of the Legislative Assembly and senior government clients; and circulating materials, registering borrowers, and explaining policy to borrowers. Other duties include maintaining the Library’s subject files, basic preservation of materials, conducting outreach and information sessions and other duties as assigned.
Advertisement # 34814
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3G 3P2
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
View original article here Source