REPORTS TO: Commercial Underwriting Manager and/or Supervisor
DIRECT REPORTS: N/A
Red River Mutual is a progressive insurance company with a focus on our customers and employees. We believe everyone has a right to feel safe and protected, and to know that someone is looking out for them. So we treat our employees like family members – we’ll be honest with them, support them, offer a listening ear, admit when we’re wrong and be a positive force in their lives and in our communities.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Commercial Underwriter is responsible for underwriting moderate to complex property/casualty policies to contribute to a profitable portfolio of business within Manitoba and Saskatchewan. They contribute to achieving projected objectives for brokers by monitoring and controlling quality of business underwritten. This position involves working closely with a group of brokers to leverage a strong relationship in creating new business opportunities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Review, quote and manage commercial mid-market requests for new business, endorsements and renewals.
- Assess risk and apply effective underwriting practices to maximize profitability.
- Consult with management in unique risk scenarios to maintain quality and risk selection outside of established authority levels
- Implement and negotiate facultative reinsurance
- Influence the development and deployment of commercial lines products.
- Maintain knowledge of current market and industry trends, pricing levels and policy form amendments.
- Monitor review and report on activity and results.
- Various projects/initiatives as required.
- Participate in insurance industry and broker events.
- Provide and maintain excellent levels of customer service.
- Frequent travel to broker offices to conduct in-person meetings.
- Cultivate relationships with brokers and reinsurance partners.
- Work cross-functionally within Red River Mutual departments (marketing, human resources, broker relations, loss prevention, claims etc.)
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS:
- 3-5 years’ underwriting experience or 5 years brokerage experience.
- Degree in business, or other relevant field
- CIP designation or working towards and/or equivalent qualification.
- Experience in all aspects of commercial lines underwriting and risk assessment.
- Experience in customer service.
- Proven leadership, team work and collaboration skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- High level of organization and attention to detail.
- Planning, analysis and problem solving skills.
- Ability to adapt and innovate.
- Effective negotiating, judgment and decision making skills.
- High stress tolerance.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License (proof will be required upon the presentation of job offer).
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available upon request any time during the recruitment process. Our Accessible employment policies and practices are available on request and in accessible formats. Applicants with disabilities can request accessible formats of communication and/or request an alternative method of applying for a position by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-370-2888 (toll free).
Job type: Full-time
View original article here Source