Correctional Officer/Juvenile Counsellor Training Opportunity
JC1 Juvenile Counsellor; OC1 Correctional Officer
Community Safety Division
Winnipeg MB, Various rural locations MB
Advertisement Number: 34671
Salary(s): JC1 $27.58 – $34.35 per hour ; OC1 $27.58 – $34.35 per hour plus Remoteness Allowance (if applicable)
Closing Date: February 22, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
Women’s Correctional Centre – These positions are designated for women.
Locations to include:
The Pas Correctional Centre, Headingley Correctional Centre, Women’s Correctional Centre, Winnipeg Remand Centre, Brandon Correctional Centre, Dauphin Correctional Centre, Agassiz Youth Centre, Manitoba Youth Centre, Milner Ridge Correctional Centre.
As part of of the screening/selection process to assess suitability, judgment, decision making and problem solving, all eligible candidates must choose to attend a series of tests scheduled for either February 28 or March 1, 2019 in Winnipeg. Testing sessions can be up to six hours in duration and are also available in Brandon, MB, Dauphin, MB as well as The Pas, MB.
A photocopy of your full class 5 (5F) Driver’s Licence is a requirement for testing.
Interviews are to be provided to candidates based on test results, at which time a review of resumes/applications occur. The Criminal Record Check, Adult Abuse Registry Check, Child Abuse Registry Check and confirmation of full class 5 (5F) Manitoba Driver’s Licence are mandatory and must be submitted prior to interviews.
For selected candidates, a mandatory unpaid training program of approximately nine weeks (full days Monday to Friday) is required. Following successful completion of the training program, you will be hired as a part-time term Correctional Officer or Juvenile Counsellor. Permanent full-time positions are subsequently filled with part-time employees.
Minimum of Emergency First Aid and CPR (level C) certificate and a medical fitness report are required prior to starting training.
We are currently recruiting to fill our summer/fall 2019 training classes to be held in Winnipeg, MB.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Security Check, Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Minimum of Emergency First Aid/CPR Level C Certificate, a full class 5 (5F) Manitoba Driver’s Licence, as well as a satisfactory medical fitness report must be completed prior to the commencement of training
- The ability to work extended and flexible hours including shift work and short notice call ins is required
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience working in a team environment
- Ability to manage stress
- Effective problem solving, decision making and sound judgment skills
- Post secondary education with directly related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Ability to adapt to change
- Experience working with Indigenous people and understanding of Indigenous culture/spirituality
- Ability to interact with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
Please visit the following link below for additional details regarding duties and the recruitment process:
Applicants may choose to attend information sessions being held on the following date, location and times:
February 14, 2019
Norquay Building – Room 514
401 York Avenue. Winnipeg, MB
10:30 a.m. or 1:30 p.m.
Advertisement # 34671
Manitoba Justice HR – Corrections
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg MB , R3C 3L6
Applicants are encouraged to provide an email address if available.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.