Correctional Officer/Juvenile Counsellor Training Program
JC1 Juvenile Counsellor 1; OC1 Correctional Officer 1
Custody Corrections, Community Safety Division
Winnipeg MB, Various rural locations MB
Advertisement Number: 37966
Salary(s): JC1 $27.58 – $34.35 per hour Plus Remoteness Allowance, if applicable.; OC1 $27.58 – $34.35 per hour Plus Remoteness Allowance, if applicable.
Closing Date: September 9, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Women’s Correctional Centre – These positions are designated for women.
Locations to include:
Headingley Correctional Centre, Winnipeg Remand Centre, Brandon Correctional Centre, Milner Ridge Correctional Centre, Women’s Correctional Centre, The Pas Correctional Centre, Manitoba Youth Centre and Agassiz Youth Centre.
As part of the screening/selection process to assess suitability, judgment, decision making and problem solving, all eligible candidates must choose to attend a series of tests. Testing sessions can be up to four hours in duration. Testing sessions are available the following dates:
– Winnipeg, MB on September 13-24, 2021
– Brandon, MB on September 21 & 22, 2021
– The Pas, MB on September 22, 2021
A photocopy of your full class 5 (5F) Manitoba Driver’s Licence is a requirement for testing.
Interviews are to be provided to candidates based on test results, at which time a review of resumés/applications occur. The Criminal Record Check, Adult Abuse Registry Check, Child Abuse Registry Check and confirmation of full class 5 (5F) Manitoba Driver’s Licence are mandatory and must be submitted prior to interviews.
For selected candidates, a mandatory unpaid training program of approximately eight weeks (full days Monday to Friday) is required. Following successful completion of the training program, you will be hired as a part-time term Correctional Officer or Juvenile Counsellor. Permanent full-time positions are subsequently filled with part-time term employees. Minimum of Standard First Aid CPR-C & AED (intermediate level) certificate and a medical fitness report are required prior to starting training.
We are currently recruiting to fill our Winter 2022 training class to be held in Winnipeg, MB.
For those applicants who are interested in a career at Milner Ridge Correctional Centre, an information session via TEAMS is being held September 1-3, 2021 at the following link https://bit.ly/3rHyfyC.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Security Check, Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Satisfactory Medical Fitness Report
- A full class 5 (5F) Manitoba Driver’s Licence
- Minimum of Standard First Aid CPR-C & AED Certificate
- The ability to work extended and flexible hours including shift work and short notice call ins is required
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience working in a team environment
- Ability to manage stress
- Effective problem solving, decision making and sound judgement skills
- Post secondary education with directly related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Ability to adapt to change
- Experience working with Indigenous people and understanding of Indigenous culture/spirituality
- Ability to interact with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
Please visit the following link below for additional details regarding duties and the recruitment process:
Advertisement # 37966
Manitoba Justice HR – Corrections
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg MB , R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source