Correctional Psychiatric Nurse
2 regular full time
Milner Ridge Correctional Centre, Community Safety
Advertisement Number: 37470
Salary(s): . $2,755.13 – $3,248.47 bi-weekly Plus Qualification Pay, if applicable.
Closing Date: May 3, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
To be considered for this competition you must submit an application form. Complete the application form at the link below or contact Human Resource Services under “Apply to” to request a copy of the application form. The selection board will rely only on information provided in this form to determine whether a candidate will be invited for further assessment.
Note: You are not required to submit a cover letter, but may be asked to submit a resume, references, or other documentation at a later point if invited for further consideration.
Click here to access the application form.
Milner Ridge Correctional Centre (MRCC) is located in the Agassiz Provincial Forest, southeast of Lac du Bonnet. It is a minimum and medium security facility that has recently been expanded to accommodate medium security adult males.
MRCC is currently searching for a Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) or a Registered Nurse (RN) to work on a full time, regular basis. The incumbent works under the direct supervision of the Health Services Manager. Candidates are asked to consider the following before applying: work schedule includes days with the potential for some evening and weekend shifts. This environment is highly autonomous and requires nursing staff to work independently and in consultation with the contract psychiatrist. The successful candidate will have the ability to make critical decisions, utilize standards of practice, policy and procedure as well as access resources while working alone. This is a challenging, fast paced environment providing a unique experience not seen in traditional nursing roles.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Nursing Licensure with the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba (CRNM) or the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba (CRPNM)
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check – Vulnerable Sector, Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check, Adult Abuse Registry Check and Internal Security Check
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Health Care Professional Certification
- Satisfactory Certificate of Medical Fitness
- Ability to work days; evenings and weekends may be required
- Experience performing clinical assessments and crisis interventions
- Experience with patient care planning for individuals experiencing mental illnesses
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience working independently
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Knowledge of working with psychotrophic medication
- Experience in suicide prevention and intervention
- Experience in a similar environment such as emergency, medical, surgical or community programs
- Knowledge of communicable diseases, main signs and symptoms of alcohol or drug misuse
- Knowledge of Indigenous culture
The incumbent will be a member of the health care team reporting to the Health Services Manager in the correctional centre. Responsibilities include: providing intervention and support to inmates experiencing psychiatric crisis or illness; implementing, monitoring and revising psychiatric patient care plans and behavior modification plan for inmates. Triages and refers inmates to appropriate health care professionals; develops treatment plans for inmates; implements, assesses and refers to programs and interventions in cooperation with other professionals. As a member of the medical team, the incumbent must be able to work with considerable independence and without direct supervision. Some weekends and evenings may be required.
Advertisement # 37470
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source