LF1-3 Crown Counsel 1-3
Legal Services Branch, Crown Law
Advertisement Number: 37720
Salary(s): LF1-3 $76,220.00 – $153,725.00 per year
Closing Date: August 23, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
We are currently seeking an experienced, highly skilled lawyer to join our team in a distinct area of the Legal Services Branch – Corporate, Commercial and I.T. Candidates must provide a sample of their writing with their application and may be asked to complete a written exercise as well.
To be considered for this competition, you must submit an Application Screening Form. Complete the Application Screening Form at the link below. If you are having difficulty opening the link, you may have to use a different browser. You may also contact Human Resource Services (contact information under “Apply to”) to request a copy of the Application Screening Form.
Note: Candidates are required to submit the Application Form for screening, as well as a cover letter, resumé and a sample of their writing.
Click here to access the application form.
Legal Services Branch (LSB) functions as the law firm to the Government of Manitoba. It provides a full range of high quality legal services to all government departments and agencies, boards, commissions, committees and corporations which do not have their own legal counsel, resulting in an interesting and varied work experience. Crown Counsel at LSB are members of the Manitoba Association of Crown Attorneys and compensation is commensurate with experience as set out in the collective agreement. LSB offers a positive work environment and supports work arrangements to help employees balance career and family. Continuous learning, development and training are supported and encouraged.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Membership in good standing, or eligible for membership with the Law Society of Manitoba
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Adult Abuse Registry Check and Child Abuse Registry Check
- Satisfactory Enhanced Security Screening
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree with extensive experience and proficiency practising corporate commercial law
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to recognize and assess legal implications and identify related business and policy ramifications
- Ability to provide legal advice on complex, time-sensitive and high-profile issues
- Experience in developing strategy and leading / participating in negotiations
- Superior written communication skills, including experience drafting agreements and legal opinions
- Superior verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to effectively manage a high volume of files with varying degrees of complexity and meet critical deadlines
- Legal practice experience in information technology, including software licences, hardware acquisition and related service agreements
The incumbent will participate in strategic discussions with clients, actively negotiate with third parties, draft agreements and other documents, and provide support in contract interpretation and administration. Ideally, counsel will apply experience in information technology (acquisition of hardware, software and services) and knowledge of procurement principles (including trade agreement compliance). From time to time, counsel will also do research, prepare legal opinions and provide legal advice on general corporate commercial matters to assist clients and other counsel in Legal Services Branch. The incumbent may also be involved in the development and review of legislation, as well as conducting or participating in education and training activities for clients and colleagues.
Advertisement # 37720
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source