Direct Service Provider
DS3/4 Direct Support Provider 3/4
Department of Families
Community Service Delivery
Advertisement Number: 39884
Salary(s): DS3/4 $13.50 – $17.72 per hour
Closing Date: October 23, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
The Department of Families is looking for motivated individuals in Winnipeg to support the care and well-being of vulnerable persons in their community. We offer a supportive work environment, flexible hours, a competitive hourly wage, specific training, and the chance to enrich the lives of Manitobans.
Direct Support Providers are casual workers and members of the Manitoba Government and General Employees Union. Direct Service Providers provide care to individuals open to Children’s disABILITY Services (CdS) and Community Living disABILITY Services (CLdS). Respite services can be in the family home, or in the community, with the goal of encouraging inclusion.
To be considered for this competition you MUST submit an application form. See below for further instructions.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must provide a current satisfactory Criminal Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search
- Must provide a current and satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
- Must provide a current and satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Ability to work flexible hours of work (ex: evenings/weekends with the ability to work up to 6 hours or more per week)
- Physical ability to do all necessary duties (may include lifting, physical activities, etc.)
- Experience providing supervision for children or adults with varying level of disabilities
- Experience organizing and supporting participants with recreational, educational and social activities for children or adults
- Knowledge of various disabilities and impacts on family dynamics
- Effective interpersonal skills in developing positive working relationships with participant and family members
- Knowledge and respect of diversity (i.e. cultural diversity, gender diversity, etc)
- Strong ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality and setting professional boundaries
- Demonstrated verbal communication skills
- Good written communication skills
- Experience providing minimal to moderate personal care needs
Working as part of a team or independently, the Direct Service Provider helps ensure the health and safety of the participants, supports their learning and development and provide caregivers with respite. They also help with day-to-day decision-making. Duties depend on the specific needs of the participant:
- Provide respite services for family and other caregivers
- Create supportive relationships with individuals and their family
- Provide supervision, companionship and personal care of the participant
- Promote the safety and well-being of the participant
- Implement behaviour support plans
- Assist, support and take part in community services and recreation activities
- Provide transportation to recreational outings
- Teach independent living skills (ex: self care, cooking, community access, budgeting, banking)
- Provides minimal to moderate personal care needs
Advertisement # 39884
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3B 2A9
To be considered for this competition you MUST submit an application form. Complete the application form at the link below or contact Human Resource Services under “Apply to” to request a copy of the application form. The selection board will rely only on information provided in this form to determine whether a candidate will be invited for further assessment. Note: You are not required to submit a cover letter, but may be asked to submit a resume, references, or other documentation at a later point if invited for further consideration.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source