Executive Director, Legal Aid Manitoba
LE4 Senior Legal Officer 4
Legal Aid Manitoba, Corporate and Strategic Services
Advertisement Number: 36910
Salary(s): LE4 $151,078.00 – $165,925.00 per year
Closing Date: December 14, 2020
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Legal Aid Manitoba’s role flows from The Legal Aid Manitoba Act and responsibility to provide quality legal advice and representation to eligible low-income individuals; administer the delivery of legal aid in a cost-effective and efficient manner; and provide advice to the minister on legal aid generally and on the specific legal needs of low income individuals.
Legal Aid Manitoba strives to serve all clients with respect and dignity; service that is fundamental to a fair and balanced justice system. Legal services are provided in the following areas: Public Interest Law (human rights, Indigenous rights, consumer rights, poverty, environmental protection), Family, Immigration and Refugee, Child Protection, Criminal, mental health, housing-related issues and government benefit programs (e.g. income assistance).
To be considered for this competition candidates are required to submit the Application Form for screening, along with their cover letter and resume, to the Civil Service Commission by email (email@example.com), quoting 36910 and position title in the subject line. Cover letters and resumes may be used in addition to the Applicant Form for screening purposes.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Child and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Be a member in good standing or eligible for membership with the Law Society of Manitoba at the time of starting the position
- Executive management experience in a public or private sector legal environment
- Managerial experience reflected in responsibility for human resources and fiscal management including staff supervision, managing budgets, budget preparation and reporting
- Experience in strategic thinking and planning, including change management and determining and setting priorities
- Strong negotiating skills with the ability to influence internal and external clients and organizations to meet organizational goals
- Ability to operate effectively and productively under pressure and in a highly time-sensitive environment and the ability to lead others to do the same
- Strong political acumen demonstrated through experience providing legal advice to senior leaders on politically sensitive issues
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an understanding of the critical importance of establishing and maintaining an effective and professional working relationship with government and the legal community
- Superior written communication skills, which includes writing a wide range of materials including politically sensitive and confidential materials for senior leaders
- Superior verbal communication skills
- Comprehensive knowledge of The Legal Aid Manitoba Act
The Executive Director of LAM is the chief executive officer responsible to direct the business and affairs of the organization including financial management oversight; efficient resource management; establishment of operational and strategic policies; and evaluation of the quality and cost effectiveness of services provided.
Advertisement # 36910
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source