FI5 Financial Officer 5
Department of Education and Early Childhood Learning
Financial Accountability and Reporting, Early Learning and Child Care
Advertisement Number: 39064
Salary(s): FI5 $67,671.00 – $86,584.00 per year
Closing Date: April 18, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be established to fill similar regular and term positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
The Department of Education and Early Childhood Learning is seeking a qualified individual to fill the Finance Manager position within the Financial Accountability and Reporting Branch in the Early Learning and Child Care Division. The Department is dedicated to ensure the education and early learning and child care systems are structured and supported effectively to improve student and early childhood development outcomes and provide students and children with the skills and knowledge they need to achieve their potential, learn and grow.
The Manitoba Government has a comprehensive benefit package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave, and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers).
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check.
- A professional accounting designation (CA, CMA or CGA) or an equivalent combination of education, training and several years of Financial Management accounting experience.
- Knowledge of the Province of Manitoba’s financial management policies and practices as set out in the Financial Administration Act, the Provincial Auditor’s Act, the Financial Administration Manual and the General Manual of Administration.
- Experience with the Government’s financial management information systems (SAP), specifically with extensive knowledge of the principles of financial planning, budgeting and expenditure control.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as set out by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, and Government accounting principles and practices as set out by the Public Sector Accounting Board.
- Must possess strong analytical and conceptual skills necessary for financial reviews, analysis, evaluating, forecasting, problem solving, assessing input of program changes, developing new funding models, and communicating policies and procedures.
- Knowledge in the management of reviewing the department’s consolidated Estimates documents, Budget Supplement documents, monthly/quarterly cash flows, and year-end annual reports.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate and develop effective working relationships with staff at all levels.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with staff supervision, including team leadership and teambuilding, allocating work, problem-solving and resolving conflict.
- Experienced and skilled on computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, PBFM, or equivalent programs.
- Experience with financial reporting requirements and year-end reporting.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to establish priorities to meet tight deadlines with accuracy.
- Experience with auditing, including conducting audits/reviews to achieve accountability and comptrollership.
- Experience with compliance with grant accountability and contract management.
The Finance Manager reports to the Comptroller of the Early Learning and Child Care Division. This position is responsible for the financial management and divisional comptrollership functions including: managing financial systems and controls; accountability; budgeting; the safeguarding and protection of financial assets and liabilities controls. The incumbent is responsible for the coordination and assembly of all financial information required for the preparation of the annual estimates, monthly and quarterly financial reports, expenditure and revenue forecasts, variance reporting and financial analysis. The position directly supervises a team of nine Financial Analysts and Advisors who are responsible for assessing grant funding applications from early learning and child care facilities; approving the facilities’ annual budget allocations; analyzing facilities audited financial statements to ensure compliance with standards and regulations in accordance with Manitoba Regulation 62/86. In addition, the position provides operational and technical assistance and advice to senior branch and department managers on budgets and grant accountability frameworks. This manager position provides external service providers with appropriate advice regarding financial management and controllership practices, financial monitoring systems, and financial and budget statements. The manager is also responsible for the financial management of the Canada-Manitoba Early Learning and Child Care Agreements and the associated financial reporting requirements, ensuring the successful implementation of initiatives under Manitoba’s Action Plans. The position will be required to lead the child care funding model development to support initiatives as they are implemented under the Canada-Wide ELCC Agreement.
Position description is available upon request.
Advertisement # 39064
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3G 3P2
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed by internal applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source