Forestry Technical Assistant
RS1 Resource Technician 1
Department of Sustainable Development
Forestry and Peatlands, Water Stewardship & Biodiversity
Advertisement Number: 34774
Salary(s): RS1 $1,489.60 – $1,749.60 bi-weekly
Closing Date: February 18, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 6 months.
Manitoba Sustainable Development Forestry and Peatlands Branch is responsible for conducting forestry field surveys for the province of Manitoba. Forestry and Peatlands Branch is seeking energetic and adventurous individuals for the Forestry Technical Assistant position. Successful candidates will acquire diverse forestry field experience and gain technical forestry skills including species identification, operating a variety of forestry field equipment, and collecting forestry field data.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s Licence or equivalent from another province
- Must be willing and able to travel to remote locations throughout the Province of Manitoba via trucks, all-terrain vehicles, boats, or rotary or fixed wing aircraft
- Must be willing and able to work overtime when required and work out-of-town for extended periods of up to ten days with overnight accommodations in bunkhouses, hotels and tents
- Must be physically capable of performing duties of the position which require moderate physical effort including carrying equipment such as chainsaws and forestry samples for long distances potentially over rough terrain and in adverse weather conditions
- Enrolled in or a graduate of a Forestry/Natural Resource Management/Biological Science Degree or Diploma program. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Experience driving a variety of vehicles, such as trucks or vans, including towing trailers over a variety of terrain, such as paved highways, gravel roads, and forestry roads/trails
- Strong verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and the public
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment
- Experience conducting and/or assisting in forestry surveys and/or knowledge in forestry surveys
- Experience collecting, recording and maintaining data with strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of safe work practices related to working in outdoor, remote locations and working with forestry machinery and equipment
- Experience in the operation of all terrain vehicles
- Experience and/or knowledge identifying native Manitoba forest tree, shrubs, herbs and forest insect and diseases
- Experience using forestry equipment such as navigation and/or tree measurement tools
- Experience using ArcGIS and/or related applications such as Collector for ArcGIS
This is a technical field position that conducts forest surveys and collects data on forest health, forest renewal, and forest inventory sites. The successful incumbents are responsible for establishing and monitoring plots, species identification, forest insect and disease identification, recording data, measuring heights and tree diameters, urban forestry surveys and assessing forest regeneration. As a part of the position, the successful incumbents will also be responsible for navigating to plot locations, collecting and recording data, communicating with the public, and working under the Forest Health Protection Act. These positions are based out of Winnipeg and travel throughout Manitoba.
Advertisement # 34774
JOW-935-155 Carlton Street
Human Resource Services
935-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3H8
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.