Highway Construction Inspector
EA3 Engineering Aid 3 (various locations)
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
Highway Regional Operations – Capital, Northern and Western Regions, Transportation Operations
Thompson MB, Arborg MB, Birtle MB, Boissevain MB, Dauphin MB, Portage la Prairie MB, Steinbach MB, Brandon MB, Winnipeg MB, Carman MB
Advertisement Number: 38928
Salary(s): EA3 $47,207.00 – $56,097.00 per year
Closing Date: May 29, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 6 months.
Candidates must indicate in their resume/cover letter their location of preference.
The Highway Construction Inspector will assist in delivering our mandate of effectively developing and delivering the road construction, maintenance and preservation programs in the region, ensuring that projects and activities are carried out to departmental standards and incorporate the principles of sustainable development. Candidates will be required to work in remote locations in the Province.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must have a Valid Class 5 Drivers licence.
- Must be able to travel to worksites by both ground and air transportation.
- Must be able to work in remote and isolated communities for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work for extended hours and periods of time (including weekends) with overnight stays (possibly in a camp environment).
- Must be able to work in an outdoor rough terrain environment. Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment. Must be physically capable of performing all of the required job duties (lifting/carrying 0-25 kg, walking on rough terrain, sitting and standing for prolonged periods, climbing stairs and ladders, crouching, kneeling, bending, twisting, operating vehicles and wearing personal equipment.
- Completion of a Civil Engineering Technology Diploma (or completion by June 1, 2022), or completion of Department Level Two training courses (or completion by June 1, 2022).
- Directly related roadway construction experience in grading, base, paving, survey (preliminary and construction).
- Ability to exercise initiative and good judgement.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health, Safety and Risk Management policies and procedures.
- Good interpersonal skills to communicate effectively and courteously with internal contacts and stakeholders (the general public, utility agencies, contractors etc.) to obtain, clarify, or provide facts or information.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to Plan, Organize, and Follow Up.
- Clear and concise written communication skills when completing daily diary, field notes, work sheets and/or reports.
The Highway Construction Inspector reports to the Highway Project Technologist and receives Lead Hand direction from the Highway Construction Technician. The Highway Construction Inspector performs responsible technical and engineering related work exercising independence of action while adhering to department standards, specifications, policies, procedures and sound survey practices. The Highway Construction Inspector will perform one or more of the following individual functions: Road Inspector, Plant (asphalt/concrete) Inspector, Winter Road Inspector, Instrument Person, Senior Density Inspector and Regional Engineering Assistant.
Advertisement # 38928
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3H8
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed by internal applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source