Indigenous Spiritual Provider
Community Safety Division, Dauphin Correctional Centre
Advertisement Number: 34627
Salary(s): CHN $31.10 – $39.16 per hour
Closing Date: March 12, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
This competition is designated for Indigenous people. Only applicants who self-declare at the time of application will be eligible for further consideration.
Located between Riding Mountain National Park to the south, Duck Mountain Provincial Park to the northwest and Dauphin Lake to the northeast, Dauphin is located in Manitoba’s beautiful Parkland region. As one of the sunniest regions in Canada (receiving over 2,300 average hours of sunlight annually), the area is well suited as a summer and winter activity destination. Dauphin is located in the Treaty 2 territory and within the land of which is the traditional territory of Anishinaabeg, Cree, Oji-Cree, Assiniboine, Dakota, Dene Peoples, as well as the Métis people. For more information about Dauphin, please visit, http://www.dauphin.ca/
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check – Vulnerable Sector
- Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
- Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Satisfactory Internal Security Check
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Experience providing a variety of Indigenous ceremonies and teaching within an Indigenous community
- Experience performing a Sweat Lodge and a Pipe Ceremony
- Experience in providing culturally appropriate counselling
- Provide timely and effective services to a large caseload
- Ability to effectively problem solve various sensitive situations and maintain confidentiality
- Effective verbal communications Skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to communicate in an Indigenous language
- Experience working with Indigenous people in conflict with the law
As a member of the Spiritual Providers’ team, the Indigenous Spiritual Provider will conduct appropriate ceremonies and other spiritual activities, will be present and visible throughout the Correctional Centre and provide individual, group and family counselling. The successful candidate will work cooperatively with staff and will be required to integrate Indigenous spirituality and culture into the every day activities of the Correctional Centre. This position provides resource contact information in the community for release planning.
Advertisement # 34627
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
608-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 0C4
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.