LF1-3 LEGAL COUNSEL 1-3
Department of Finance
The Public Guardian and Trustee, Department of Finance
Advertisement Number: 37627
Salary(s): LF1-3 $76,220.00 – $153,725.00 per year
Closing Date: June 5, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
The Public Guardian and Trustee has an exciting opportunity for a junior lawyer to join its team with a view toward a career in the public service. The position of legal counsel offers an exposure to a wide variety of aspects of practice with a focus on civil, estate and family litigation. The successful applicant will provide legal advice and counsel to the Public Guardian and Trustee in its role as decision maker for parties lacking legal capacity, as personal representative of deceased estates and as mandated by legislation. The ideal candidate will have 1-5 years of post-law school experience with litigation matters.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be a member in good standing or eligible for membership with the Law Society of Manitoba
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Adult Abuse Registry Check and Vulnerable Sector Registry Check
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License.
- Effective analytical and research skills.
- Written communication skills including experience writing a variety of clear and concise documents for different audiences
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to manage high volume work load with conflicting priorities and deadlines
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to establish good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Verbal communication skills with the ability to make effective public presentations
- Experience in civil, estate and family litigation an asset
- Experience applying/interpreting Acts and Regulations
a) providing legal advice, opinions and recommendations to the Public Guardian and Trustee on civil, family and estate issues;
b) drafting Court documents;
c) attending and advocating at all three levels of Court in Manitoba;
d) working directly with the Public Guardian and Trustee and her Deputies to provide a wide range of legal services to individuals under the Public Guardian and Trustee’s jurisdiction; and
e) providing education to the public on issues relating to capacity.
Advertisement # 37627
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3H8
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source