LE3 Senior Legal Officer 3
Legal Aid Manitoba, Corporate and Strategic Services
Advertisement Number: 37598
Salary(s): LE3 $145,952.00 – $160,383.00 per year
Closing Date: July 23, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
Legal Aid Manitoba’s role flows from The Legal Aid Manitoba Act and responsibility to provide quality legal advice and representation to eligible low-income individuals; administer the delivery of legal aid in a cost-effective and efficient manner; and provide advice to the minister on legal aid generally and on the specific legal needs of low income individuals. Legal Aid Manitoba strives to serve all clients with respect and dignity; service that is fundamental to a fair and balanced justice system.
Legal Aid Manitoba recognizes the impacts of colonization on the Indigenous peoples of Canada and the long term effects in the justice system. Legal services are provided in the following areas: Public Interest Law (human rights, Indigenous rights, consumer rights, poverty, environmental protection), Family, Immigration and Refugee, Child Protection, Criminal, mental health, housing-related issues and government benefit programs (e.g. income assistance).
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Child and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Be a member in good standing of the Law Society of Manitoba or similar body within Canada at the time of application
- Extensive experience in a legal environment including practicing law as a member of the Law Society of Manitoba or an equivalent governing body
- Extensive managerial experience, reflecting significant responsibility for human and fiscal resources
- Experience in policy and program development, implementation and evaluation
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to exercise sound judgement
- Demonstrated leadership skills with a proven ability to promote and support diversity, equity, professionalism and respect in the workplace
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships and networks within government, the legal profession, external agencies and other service partners
- Contract management and negotiation experience
- Excellent written communication skills including the ability to prepare a wide range of materials, including contracts, business plans, submissions and reports
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Previous education in the effects of colonization of the Indigenous peoples of Canada and the impacts of colonization on the justice system
- Comprehensive knowledge of The Legal Aid Manitoba Act and Regulation
- Knowledge of the Legal Aid Manitoba policies (e.g. Area Directors’ Manual and Taxation Manual)
- Knowledge of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the Personal Health Information Act and the Public Interest Disclosure (Whistleblower Protection) Act
- Experience managing staff in a unionized environment
The Legal Director is a member of the Executive Management Committee of LAM and is accountable for providing leadership and direction to the Executive Management Committee and organization as General Counsel for the Corporation. The incumbent provides legal advice and services to the organization, ensures review and audit of administration and case files required for statutory and policy compliance, and negotiates property leases for LAM. The Legal Director is the Lead on the development and implementation of the formal Legal Aid Manitoba Reconciliation Plan
Advertisement # 37598
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source