Medical Officer of Health
MF2/3 Medical Officer of Health
Department of Health, Seniors, and Active Living
Population and Public Health
Winnipeg MB, Various locations throughout rural MB and various locations throughout northern MB
Advertisement Number: 36163
Salary(s): MF2/3 $209,633.00 – $265,861.00 per year plus remote allowance and qualification pay, if applicable
Closing Date: July 14, 2020
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living (MHSAL) is seeking a number of Medical Officers of Health (MOH) for the following positions.
Two full-time MOH positions; one position (1.0 FTE) who will have primary MOH responsibilities in Southern Health-Santé Sud and one position (1.0 FTE) whose primary responsibilities would be in the Northern Health Region.
Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living is also seeking a Medical Officer of Health to work as a communicable disease specialist (.8 FTE) as part of the team of MOHs who are located centrally at MHSAL.
Candidates who hold Fellowship recognized by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada; or recognized as a Specialist by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba, will be paid at the Medical Officer of Health 3 level, in addition to being eligible for qualification pay.
For more information related to salaries and eligibility for qualification pay, please visit https://www.gov.mb.ca/csc/labour/pubs/pdf/agreements/doctors.pdf
Candidates should indicate which role they are applying for in their resume and/or covering letter.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba. Physicians licensed to practice medicine in other Canadian jurisdictions must be eligible for licensure in Manitoba.
- Must be and remain in good standing with the current licensing body.
- Must provide and maintain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector search.
- Must provide and maintain a satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check.
- A Valid Manitoba Class 5 driver’s licence or equivalent.
- As required, ability to participate in the provincial system for MOH on-call coverage.
- Must have the ability to travel throughout the province as required.
- Medical degree and license to practice, or eligibility to be licensed to practice medicine in Manitoba along with Royal College certification or equivalent specialty training in public health.
- Knowledge and experience in the areas of: population health assessment, surveillance, health protection, environmental health and hazards, communicable disease and injury prevention, health promotion and advocacy to reduce health inequities.
- Effective leadership skills, including the ability to assess complex situations and provide advice to senior leaders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to consult, negotiate and liaise effectively with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with a wide range of employees and stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively with a team of inter-disciplinary public health professionals.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively within government structures, as well as government policies and established processes.
- Specific Qualifications for the Medical Officer of Health, Communicable Disease Specialist:
In addition to those listed above the candidate should have extensive knowledge of the epidemiology of communicable diseases, and how to translate that knowledge into providing advice on effective communicable disease control public health programming and services. The candidate should have knowledge of emerging issues and trends in the area of communicable diseases and be able to use that knowledge to provide advice and leadership in developing and designing effective communicable disease prevention and control policies, and programming.
The MOH is an employee of the department but is assigned to provide MOH services in certain geographical regions of the province, and may be part of a regional senior community health team that provides medical officer of health expertise. The MOH will focus on the five core functions of public health: population health assessment, surveillance, health protection, disease and injury prevention, and health promotion. From time to time, MOHs may be assigned work outside of the region depending on overall departmental MOH resource capacity balanced against core priorities and emerging or urgent needs. The MOH has legislated authorities/duties under The Public Health Act. The MOH participates in the provincial 24/7 on call service for public health urgent and emergency events.
Advertisement # 36163
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3G 3P2
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source