Mitigation and Prevention Assistant/Technician
FR2 Mitigation and Prevention Assistant/Technician
Department of Conservation and Climate
Manitoba Wildfire Service, Parks and Resource Protection
Advertisement Number: 37488
Salary(s): FR2 $1,448.00 – $1,577.60 bi-weekly Plus Remoteness Allowance and Qualification Pay, if applicable.
Closing Date: April 30, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Manitoba Wildfire Service is the wildfire management agency for the Province of Manitoba and is responsible for providing or coordinating wildfire prevention, mitigation, preparedness and response activities. The Service manages all personnel, aircraft and equipment resources needed for wildfire management. Staff monitor weather, lightning strikes, forest conditions and fire activity to appropriately prepare and respond to wildfire in the Province’s burn permit area. Manitoba Wildfire Service also works in cooperation with communities to assist in community preparedness and protection to minimize the impacts of wildfire.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must possess and maintain a Class 5 Manitoba Drivers license
- Must be willing and able to travel and spend extended periods outdoors and in remote areas
- Must be willing and able to work overtime, evenings, weekends and weekdays
- Must be physically capable of the positions, including carrying firefighting equipment and working outdoors in adverse weather conditions
- Experience in the wildland fire management environment and familiar with wildfire suppression concepts, tactics and equipment
- Demonstrated ability to work alone or under limited supervision and be self-motivated
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent written communication skill with the ability to prepare presentation and public information messaging.
- Demonstrated ability to function under stressful conditions
- Experience in GIS applications and data collection devices with the ability to manage data.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver presentations to varying audiences
- Post-secondary education in Natural Resources Management Technology, or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
Reporting to the FireSmart and Prevention Program Coordinator, the Mitigation and Prevention Assistant/Technician assists in the development, implementation and delivery of Manitoba Wildfire Service’s provincial wildfire mitigation and prevention program. Primary duties will include preparing public information and education materials as well as compiling information relevant to preparedness and response planning. The position will also assist in various suppression activities, when required.
Advertisement # 37488
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3G 3P2
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source