One Bilingual and One Non-Bilingual Front Counter Staff Justice of the Peace
CC1 Clerk of Court 1
(with a possibility of becoming Regular)
Provincial Offences Court, Court Operations
Advertisement Number: 38908
Salary(s): CC1 $1,573.25 – $1,808.88 bi-weekly
Closing Date: April 10, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
To be considered for this competition you must submit an Application Screening Form, along with your resume and cover-letter. Complete the Application Screening Form at the link below.
If you are having difficulty opening the link, you may have to use a different browser. You may also contact Human Resource Services under “Apply to” to request a copy of the Application Screening Form. The selection board will rely on information provided in the form and may rely on the information provided in the resume and cover letter to determine whether a candidate will be invited for further assessment.
CLICK HERE to access the application screening form.
This bulletin is to fill several positions. There is currently one (1) Designated Bilingual Position and one (1) Non-Bilingual position available. Note that successful candidate for the bilingual position must be able to fluently communicate (verbally and in writing) in both official languages (French and English). If candidates do not meet the language assessment for the bilingual position, they will still be given consideration for the non-bilingual position. Please indicate if you are bilingual when applying.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- An enhanced security check will be required
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Adult and Child Abuse Checks
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing in French (For Designated Bilingual Position Only)
- Ability to work overtime when required with little notice
- Must qualify for an appointment as a Staff Justice of the Peace pursuant to statutory requirements
- Experience performing clerical/administrative duties including data entry, handling inquires on the phone or at the front counter, maintaining a physical filing system, maintaining statistical records and coordinating matters such as dispute hearing dates
- Experience in processing and preparing court or legal documentation
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to provide front-line service to internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively under minimal supervision and make independent decisions using discretion
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and contribute toward a respectful workplace
- Excellent English verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate legal or court related documentation and procedures in plain language
- Excellent English written communication skills
- Excellent French verbal communication skills (Designated Bilingual Position Only)
- Excellent French written communication skills (Designated Bilingual Position Only)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain accuracy and attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and One Note) or equivalent software
- Completion of a recognized legal or administrative assistant program or equivalent post-secondary education may be considered
- Experience with Manitoba Justice related computerized court system applications including Common Offence Notice System (CON)
- Knowledge of the Provincial Offences Act
The front counter Staff Justice of the Peace is required to provide the required administrative duties and responsibilities with limited staff Justice of the Peace authority and are required to provide front line triage/screening of all matters to be scheduled to appear before a Judicial Justice of the Peace and Crown attorney. Decisions must be made in accordance with existing policies, procedures and guidelines of Provincial Offences Court. The incumbent must deal effectively and professionally with members of the public and representatives appearing at the front counter. They must work independently and use discretion on sensitive issues and offences. The incumbent will hold a Clerk of Court title and be granted limited Staff Justice of the Peace status to enable continuity of the work performed at Provincial Offences Court. The position requires an in-depth understanding and knowledge of the limited Staff Justice of the Peace authority including knowledge of various Acts, Regulations, and By-laws as they pertain to Provincial Offences Court and the incumbent must be able to deal with a high volume of matters in a fast paced environment.
Advertisement # 38908
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed by internal applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source