Operations Veterinarian – One Health- Rabies
VT3 Veterinarian Medical Officer 3
Agriculture and Resource Development
Animal Health and Welfare, Industry Advancement
Advertisement Number: 37753
Salary(s): VT3 $88,591.00 – $108,167.00 per year
Closing Date: June 22, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
The position description is available upon request.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Successful completion of the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination, and eligible for licensure with the Manitoba Veterinary Medical Association.
- A valid class 5 driver’s license and access to a vehicle for travel.
- Must be able to travel provincially, nationally and internationally
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays
- Must provide a satisfactory criminal record check, and be legally entitled to use firearms, as well as handle and administer narcotic drugs
- Physically capable to perform the duties of the position including moving animals and carcasses, and working psychologically demanding field work under adverse conditions
- Must be able to maintain protective rabies titres
- Degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from an educational institute accredited by the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association, or successful completion of the North American Licensing Exam (NAVLE) and other pre-requisite exams required to obtain a full license to practice in Manitoba
- Experience in veterinary medicine with infectious disease, epidemiology, regulatory veterinary medicine, and/or public health
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative by anticipating potential issues and taking action to resolve them
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to develop incident reports, correspondence, and training presentations/programs for a variety of audiences
- Excellent verbal communication skills with the ability to deliver presentations to a variety of audiences
- Ability to manage field staff for collection of samples during disease outbreaks
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Proficiency in computer applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access), or equivalent software programs
- Strong organizational skills and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects in tight timeframes
- Strong Interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain positive working relationships with emphasis on tact and diplomacy
- Experience practicing veterinary medicine with animal welfare and/or regulatory enforcement
- Training in disease control/epidemiology, public health, or animal welfare
The Operations Veterinarian – One Health – Rabies is responsible for coordinating the One Health disease management programs, primarily rabies, within the Province of Manitoba. This involves overseeing all operational aspects of the disease management programs as assigned such as those identified by the Manitoba One Health Steering Committee. Duties include supervising sample collectors such as contract service providers and assigned provincial government staff, as well as communicating with human health professionals, conducting risk assessments, coordinating case management and participating in disease surveillance and control activities. As a member of a professional team with the Office of the Chief Veterinarian (CVO) within the department of Manitoba Agriculture and Resource Development, the incumbent is expected to develop effective working relationships with other colleagues. As a team member, job responsibilities will include supporting veterinary public health, animal health, animal welfare, and emergency preparedness.
Advertisement # 37753
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3B 2A9
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source