Park Patrol Officer
RO1 Resource Officer 1
approximately 17 weeks (May to September)
Agriculture and Resource Development
Wildlife, Fisheries and Resource Enforcement, Ecosystem Management Division
Various locations throughout rural MB and various locations throughout northern MB
Advertisement Number: 37483
Salary(s): RO1 $1,544.00 – $1,633.60 bi-weekly Plus Remoteness Allowance, if applicable. Plus $1.25 per hour weekend premium and $12.80 per shift premium as applicable; bunkhouse accomodations may be provided depending upon location
Closing Date: April 29, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions during the 2021 season, and will remain in effect for 6 months.
Some positions are designated bilingual. If you wish to declare bilingual status, please indicate this in your application.
Successful completion of the Seasonal Officer Orientation Course (SOOC) in May 2021 is mandatory. The Department will cover meals and rooms during this course training for applicants who are successful. After successful completion of the course, mileage expenses to the assigned district will be covered.
Looking for a challenge? Want to gain law enforcement experience? Enjoy exploring the outdoors? Want to keep the public safe? Are you physically fit? Join the team to work as a Seasonal Park Patrol Officer. The Manitoba government has a comprehensive benefits package which includes extended health care, group life insurance, family related leave, and a defined pension plan.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be eligible for appointment as a Park Patrol Officer
- Must possess and maintain current Standard First Aid and Cardio Pulmonary rescuscitation (CPR) resuscitation certificates or an approved equivalent
- Must possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 4 driver’s licence or an equivalent out of province licence
- Must possess a satisfactory Criminal Record check. A current valid original Criminal Record check must be obtained and must not expire before June 2, 2020*
- Must be willing and able to work irregular shifts: including evenings, weekends and overtime
- Must possess a current Canadian Firearm Safety Certificate course report, or Possession and Acquisition Licence.*
- Must possess a satisfactory Manitoba Child Abuse Registry check. To apply, go to the following website: https://www.gov.mb.ca/fs/childfam/child_abuse?registry?form.html. A current valid original Child Abuse Registry Check must be obtained and must not expire before June 1, 2020. (valid for 6 months)*
- Must successfully complete the mandatory Seasonal Officer Orientation Course, which includes Defensive Tactics Training
- Must be willing and able to travel including overnight stays for extended periods of time
- Must have no criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted
- Must be physically able to perform the duties of the position including: working in various adverse weather conditions walking over rough terrain and lifting weights of up to 50 lbs
- Prior to May 2021, completion of year one of a recognized Resource Management diploma or degree program, or a graduate from a recognized law enforcement diploma program or Police Studies program; or year two of an undergraduate degree in the studies of Law, Environmental Studies/Sciences, with a minimum of 3 credit hours of law courses satisfactory to the department, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience satisfactory to the department. **Applicants are required to submit a copy of their course transcript along with their application
- Ability to make decisions and problem solve
- Ability to work effectively under stress in hostile or adverse environmental conditions
- Good verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work independently under limited supervision with good time management skills
- Good written communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of law enforcement
- Experience handling customer complaints
If you are looking for a career in Conservation or Law, this is a great place to start! A key role is to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for the general public and resource users in provincial parks. As part of an enforcement team, and under a more senior officer, Park Patrol Officers conduct patrols, assist in protecting and educating the public, ensure compliance with provincial legislation and park safety and security duties.
Advertisement # 37483
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3B 2A9
*offers will not be made until photocopies of all valid certificates, licenses, course reports or registration dates as indicated are received. This includes original copies of Manitoba Child Abuse Registry Check and Criminal Record Check.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source