O1E Power Engineer, 1st Class Plant
Department of Central Services
Operations, District 1, Asset Management
Advertisement Number: 37285
Salary(s): O1E $70,706.00 – $81,120.00 per year
Closing Date: September 30, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to women, Indigenous people and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An Eligibility List will be established that may be used to fill future vacancies that become available over the next 12 months.
We are considering and interviewing qualified applicants as received. This competition will remain open until filled.
The Manitoba government is seeking a highly motivated Second Class Power Engineer to work with Asset Management at the Central Powerhouse in Winnipeg. This position offers reliable and full time employment with a defined pension plan. The Manitoba government also provides an excellent benefits package which includes extended health, health spending, dental, vision, long term disability, supportive employment, sick leave, paid vacation and maternity/parental leave. Manitoba Finance provides ongoing professional and educational development for its employees.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must have a valid 2nd Class Power Engineering Certification Registered with the Province of Manitoba
- Must have a valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence
- Must be physically capable of performing the duties of the position, including wearing Personal Protective Equipment
- Must provide and maintain a satisfactory Criminal Records Check, security check (if applicable) and Child Abuse Registry Check
- Must be able to work at heights and in confined spaces
- Manitoba 2nd Class Power Engineering Certificate.
- Experience inspecting, troubleshooting, isolating, repairing and re-instating all steam, oil, heating, cooling and related equipment in the plant and connected buildings in accordance with Power Engineering and Code Regulations.
- Experience working in a 1st or 2nd Class Steam Plant.
- Experience operating and monitoring Building Management and Building Connected Systems.
- Organizational and time management skills with the ability to plan and follow up.
- Interpersonal skills to communicate effectively and respectfully with internal and external contacts.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently while demonstrating initiative.
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety policies, regulations and legislation.
- Experience operating, maintaining and repairing Life Safety systems.
- Experience operating centrifugal chillers and chilled water systems.
Reporting to the Chief Power Engineer and Deputy Chief Power Engineer, Power Engineers are responsible for the overall safe and efficient operation of First Class High Pressure Heating and Cooling Plants, and all of their auxiliaries. A Power Engineer will also supervise the operation of heating/cooling, water supply and electrical generating equipment, respond to fire alarms, and observe and record all readings relating to energy consumption, steam and water pressures and cooling systems. Power Engineers will be required to complete chemical testing and adding of chemicals for the boiler, chilled water and cooling tower systems, test run emergency stand-by generators, fire booster pumps, as well as following regulations set out by the Department of Labour with regards to safe operations and inspections. This position also provides guidance and ensure the quality of maintenance work of employees in less senior technical positions such as Assistant Operating Engineers and Maintenance Assistants.
Advertisement # 37285
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3H8
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source