Public Health Inspector
EO2 Environmental Officer 2
Department of Health and Seniors Care
Environmental Health, Health Protection Unit
Winnipeg MB, Various rural locations MB
Advertisement Number: 37975
Salary(s): EO2 $50,744.00 – $67,671.00 per year Plus Qualification Pay, if applicable.
Closing Date: October 29, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people and persons with disabilities.
In addition to a bi-weekly salary, candidates who have achieved their Certificate in Public Health Inspections/Board Certification are eligible for qualification pay in the amount of $159.20 bi-weekly.
A certificate in Public Health Inspection/Board Certification is a requirement for this position.
Applicants who have completed their Public Health Inspection practicum and are eligible to sit the Board Certification exam in the fall of 2021 are encouraged to apply.
We are currently looking to fill a number of Public Health Inspector roles both in Winnipeg and various rural locations such as The Pas, Brandon and Dauphin.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Board of Certification (BOC) of the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors (CIPHI), along with on-going membership and participation in CIPHI’s Continuing Competencies Program.
- A current and satisfactory Criminal Records Check (CRC), candidates are responsible for the costs associated with obtaining a satisfactory CRC.
- A valid Class 5 (F) Driver’s License.
- Must have access to a personal vehicle for use on the job.
- Some positions may require the incumbent to travel to remote locations by car, plane and boat and be available for consecutive overnight stays.
- Completion of a post-secondary degree in Environmental Health from a recognized institution. An equivalent combination of relevant education, training and experience would be considered if combined with a Certificate in Public Health Inspection.
- Experience with inspections as well as monitoring and enforcement of regulations, guidelines, by-laws and/or Acts to ensure compliance.
- Experience investigating complaints.
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills.
- Effective time-management and organizational skills.
- Well-developed verbal communication skills, including the ability to deliver presentations.
- Well-developed written communication skills.
- Ability to manage potentially high conflict situations effectively.
- Proficient in the use of computer based applications.
The Public Health Inspector conducts inspections and investigations of public sector groups on matters related to public health, including disease and injury prevention, health promotion, communicable disease control, and potential adverse health hazards that can impact Manitobans. The position uses technical equipment and expertise to recognize, evaluate and determine compliance related to the control of public health hazards.
The position is responsible for ensuring compliance with regulations that fall under The Public Health Act and The Smoking and Vapour Products Control Act, as well as following the operational procedures set forth by the branch.
Advertisement # 37975
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3G 3P2
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed by internal applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source