Regional Fisheries Biologist
BL2 Biologist 2
Agriculture and Resource Development
Wildlife and Fisheries Branch, Water Stewardship and Biodiversity
Lac du Bonnet MB
Advertisement Number: 36856
Salary(s): BL2 $63,652.00 – $80,223.00 per year
Closing Date: January 4, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
The Manitoba government has a comprehensive benefits package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave, and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers).
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be willing and able to work extended hours as required.
- Must be willing and able to travel periodically throughout the province of Manitoba for up to one week at a time, staying in bunkhouses and on rare occasions may stay in a tent or a berth on a ship.
- Must be willing and able to work in rural field locations, on lakes and on rivers as required, which may include inclement weather such as extreme cold.
- Must be physically able to perform the duties of the position, including the ability to lift and maneuver a minimum of 30 kg.
- Must possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Pleasure Craft Operator Licence
- Degree in Biology, Fisheries, Ecology, Environmental Science or Natural Resources or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience in the design, implementation and evaluation of fisheries studies, plans and projects, including fisheries field programs.
- Experience in fisheries management techniques such as fish stocking, fish stock assessments, or fish habitat assessment and remediation.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply quantitative fisheries science methodologies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to foster working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Effective verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate technical information to technical and non technical audiences.
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills.
- Able to work independently with strong organizational and time management skills including the ability to prioritize work activities to meet deadlines.
- Effective written communication skills with the ability to prepare technical reports.
- Knowledge of relevent federal and provincial fisheries legislation, policies and guidelines.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office or equivalent software applications.
- Experience with the operation and maintenance of powerboats or other vehicles typically used in fisheries related tasks.
- Experience in staff supervision including providing direction, training, coaching and mentoring
Manitoba’s Eastern Region has some of the provinces most heavily used and most important fisheries. Subsistence, recreational, and commercial users share Eastern Region fisheries resources worth over $50,000,000 annually. As a key member of a small team dedicated to managing these resources, the Eastern Region Fisheries Biologist collects, analyses, and interprets fisheries data which supports sound and proven management practices providing Manitobans with the highest possible value from their fisheries resources.
Advertisement # 36856
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3B 2A9
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source