*Reposted* Consultant for Blind/Visually Impaired
VH1-3 Consultant, Visual/Hearing
Department of Education and Early Childhood Learning
Inclusion Support, Student Achievement and Inclusion
Advertisement Number: 39849
Salary(s): VH1-3 $63,283.00 – $94,055.00 per year
Closing Date: October 10, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be established to fill similar regular and term positions (including VH1/2/3 positions) and will remain in effect for up to 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
The Department of Education and Early Childhood Learning is seeking qualified individual to fill a Consultant for the Blind/Visually Impaired position within the Inclusion Support Branch. The Department is responding to the K-12 Commission recommendations to ensure the Kindergarten to grade 12 (K-12) education system is structured and supported effectively to improve student outcomes and provide students with the skills and knowledge they need to achieve their full potential. The Manitoba Government has a comprehensive benefit package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave, and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers).
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check
- Must have a valid, or be eligible for, Manitoba Teacher’s Certificate
- Must have the ability to travel throughout the Province of Manitoba
- Post Secondary Degree in Education (BEd. or Masters) including specialized training in the education of the Blind/Visually Impaired. Equivalent education, training and experience may be considered.
- Experience teaching in a K-12 classroom setting.
- Experience adapting curriculum for students with special needs including those with visual impairments.
- Knowledge of the educational field of the Blind & Visually Impaired (e.g., braille literacy, functional vision assessment, assistive technology, orientation and mobility).
- Experience implementing and monitoring Student Specific Plans (SSPs).
- Strong English oral communication skills.
- Effective leadership skills that demonstrate and inspire collaboration.
- Ability to handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work with all educational partners and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Experience delivering professional learning to educators.
The Consultant for the Blind/Visually Impaired provides direct instructional services to students who are blind/visually impaired in the following curricular areas: Braille reading and writing; orientation and mobility; appropriate use of assistive technology and specialized equipment; optimum use of residual vision; effective use of learning and listening skills; adapting curriculum areas-keyboarding, daily living skills, career education, physical education; alternative communication systems/language development. Provides specialized consultation to educators, parents and professionals directly and indirectly involved with students who are blind and visually impaired regarding adaptations to Manitoba Provincial Curricula and implementation of specialized curricula. Performs functional vision assessments of students who are blind and visually impaired for the purpose of planning appropriate educational programming.
Advertisement # 39849
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3G 3P2
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter and resumé must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications of this position.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source