Roadside Safety Technologist
TE1 Technical Engineering Officer 1
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
Traffic Engineering Branch, Engineering and Technical Services
Advertisement Number: 38843
Salary(s): TE1 $58,101.00 – $69,788.00 per year
Closing Date: May 15, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
The Traffic Engineering Branch is responsible for managing and directing the installation, maintenance and operation of all traffic control devices including traffic signals, major signs, flashing lights and pedestrian corridors, establishing standards and policies for the installation and maintenance of all traffic control devices and traffic guardrails, conducting speed limit reviews and providing traffic engineering expertise on traffic control within Engineering and Technical Services and other departments and jurisdictions.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 driver’s licence.
- Must be able to travel throughout the province by land and air, and stay overnight as required.
- Must be able to work various shifts including some weekends.
- Must be able to work in a variety of weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold, and other hazards such as dust, noise, and uneven terrain.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and lift and carry 45 kg (100 lbs).
- Civil Engineering Technology Diploma or completion of Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure’s department Level 3 training courses. An acceptable equivalent combination of training and/or experience may be considered.
- Experience working with roadside safety and roadside hazard mitigation.
- Knowledge and understanding of roadway engineering design as well as construction and maintenance practices, specifications and policies.
- Experience maintaining accurate records or databases.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work as part of a team.
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to prepare technical reports and correspondence.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Experience with Microstation CAD software.
- Knowledge and understanding of Occupational Safety, Health and Risk Management policies and procedures.
Reporting to the Roadside Safety Engineer, the Roadside Safety Technologist provides Lead Hand direction to roadside safety staff and performs moderately advanced technical and engineering related functions supporting the Traffic Engineering Branch and Engineering and Technical Services (ETS) design and construction staff relating to roadside safety. The Roadside Safety Technologist collaborates with ETS Division design and construction staff to identify and assess potential roadside hazards; provides advice and recommendations to ETS staff and engineering service providers in the design of roadside hazard mitigations; provides a technical resource and guidance to ETS maintenance staff with respect to maintenance and repair of hazard mitigations and traffic barrier installations; researches and keeps abreast of new technologies and innovations in roadside safety; maintains standard drawings and specifications for all barrier parts and various typical traffic barrier configurations; monitors and maintains the Department’s inventory of guardrail supplies and inspects guardrail material supplied to the Department; performs on-site inspection of new guardrail installations.
Advertisement # 38843
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3H8
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed by internal applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source