Safety and Health Officer
SI3 Safety Health Officer 3
Department of Labour, Consumer Protection and Government Services
Workplace Safety and Health, Labour
Advertisement Number: 39913
Salary(s): SI3 $65,739.00 – $83,708.00 per year
Closing Date: October 2, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to women, Indigenous people and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Position Description is available upon request.
Workplace Safety and Health enforces The Workplace Safety and Health Act and its associated regulations in order to protect the safety and health of workers in Manitoba. Workplace Safety and Health’s inspection and investigation activity focuses on improving legislative compliance in order to eliminate workplace fatalities, injuries and illnesses.
The Manitoba government has a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers). Training and career development opportunities are also available for employees.
To be considered for this competition you must submit a cover letter, resume and application form. See below for further instructions.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license with the ability to operate a Government-owned/leased vehicle in all seasons.
- Must provide and maintain satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check.
- Ability to travel extensively throughout Manitoba to carry out responsibilities of the position, including overnight stays away from home.
- Physically capable of performing the duties and functions of the job including working at heights and carrying out strenuous physical activity such as walking, climbing, crawling, bending and kneeling.
- Ability to work outside, in various environmental conditions, including around dusts, animals, and other environmental allergens.
- Ability to work on-call and outside regular working hours.
- Education/training and experience in a regulatory enforcement field, skilled trade or profession, management or occupational health and safety.
- Experience conducting inspections, investigations, audits, quality assurance, or program evaluation for the purpose of meeting accepted standards and/or legislation.
- Sound analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to identify and record relevant information/evidence, analyze facts, interpret Acts, regulations and standards, and determine options to resolve situations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with potentially difficult individuals in a respectful, objective manner, and work well in a team environment.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to write reports and related documents in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to lead and manage difficult situations.
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety fundamentals, principles, rights, duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize work and work under pressure to meet time sensitive deadlines.
- Proficient with Microsoft applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) or equivalent software applications.
- Experience working in construction sector, or with harassment, violence and/or psycho-social hazards.
The Safety and Health Officer conducts inspections and investigations into fatalities, right to refuse situations, discriminatory actions, serious incidents and other related workplace concerns in all industry sectors. The position completes assignments in accordance with The Workplace Safety and Health Act, the Workplace Safety and Health Regulation, and the operational procedures set by the Branch. The Officer’s work involves conducting inspections and interviews, preparing written reports on enforcement activities, issuing and determining compliance with improvement orders and stop work orders, and providing information to improve awareness of and compliance with safety and health legislation. The position may be called upon to give evidence at an inquest related to an incident or fatality or provide evidence before the Manitoba Labour Board.
Advertisement # 39913
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3H8
To be considered for this competition you must submit a cover letter, resume and application form. Complete the application form at the link below or contact Human Resource Services under “Apply to” to request a copy of the application form. The selection board will rely only on information provided in this form to determine whether a candidate will be invited for further assessment. Note: You may be asked to submit references or other documentation at a later point if invited for further consideration.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source