Senior Data Scientist
SS3 Statistical Analyst
Department of Central Services
Data Science Branch
Advertisement Number: 36772
Salary(s): SS3 $67,671.00 – $82,064.00 per year
Closing Date: November 23, 2020
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
We are building a team of enthusiastic people to turn data into good policy and governance. Our ambitions are high and many of our strategies have never been attempted before. We are hiring two data scientists to join a fearless team working to make an outsized impact.
As the data scientist, you will act as the technical expert in the Data Science Unit, completing specialized and complex data analytics projects. You will draw on your advanced knowledge of and experience with complex statistical methods, programming, data modelling and analytics to drive evidence-based decisions that have a positive impact on the lives of Manitobans. You will be a key player in the development of Manitoba’s broader data analytics strategy.
What we offer:
- Be part of an unprecedented initiative to push the boundary of data use in government.
- Use data to inform policies that make a real and positive difference in the lives of Manitobans.
- Work within an innovative and supportive team.
- Work with diverse and unique data not available in any other sector.
- Have the freedom to suggest and pursue novel initiatives with a high degree of creativity.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Advanced postgraduate training in statistics, computer science, engineering, mathematics, social sciences or related discipline (Master’s degree or higher), or equivalent work experience.
- Extensive, immersed, hands on experience working with large, complex datasets that require significant cleaning and management.
- Extensive hands on experience using complex data to design and execute predictive analytics and other quantitative research projects.
- Extensive experience using statistical software and programming languages, such as R, Python and/or SQL.
- Experience working with big data platforms (e.g. Google BigQuery) and using Jupyter Notebook/Lab.
- Knowledge of emerging techniques and methodologies such as machine learning, web scraping, sentiment analysis, etc.
- Strong data visualization skills.
- Experience communicating scientific knowledge and research to diverse audiences in non-technical language and ability to build consensus around research findings.
- Independent learner with excellent critical thinking skills, a commitment to research excellence and a meticulous eye for detail.
- Effective leadership skills with the ability to lead and work collaboratively in a team setting to complete complex projects.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to render technical decisions and recommendations.
- Proven ability to manage multiple competing priorities in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Experience with GIS analysis.
- Experience working with multiple statistical software and programming languages.
- Ability to use the outcomes of data analytics to tell stories with actionable implications by clearly answering the “so what” question.
The Data Scientist serves as the technical lead in the Data Science Unit and works closely with the Director of Data Science to understand and realize the data needs and goals of client departments across government. The Data Scientist develops appropriate methodologies, aligning with available data and best research practices, and completes complex data analytics projects that address the questions and needs of departments and tell a story that influences policy with evidence-based recommendations.
Advertisement # 36772
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3H8
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source