Senior Flood Protection Planning Officer
TE2 Technical Engineering 2
Water Management Planning & Standards, Water Management and Structures
Advertisement Number: 35168
Salary(s): TE2 $63,673.00 – $76,696.00 per year
Closing Date: May 27, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Water Management and Structures ensures safe and effective provincial water control infrastructure and structures, through the delivery of inspection, planning, design, maintenance, rehabilitation and construction activities. The division is responsible for the overall management of infrastructure inventory that includes: bridges, large culverts, thru-dike culverts, drains, dams, reservoirs, water control structures, diversions and pumping stations. The division also provides water management through operation of the provincial water control system, flood forecasting, and development and implementation of emergency response plans.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must have a valid class 5 driver’s licence
- Must be able to travel throughout the province by ground and air transportation for extended periods
- Must be able to work extended hours
- Bachelor’s degree with specialization in geography, land use planning or water resource management OR a combination of education and experience directly related to this position
- Experience working with ArcGIS software geospatial databases applications and tools
- Experience in hydraulics, hydrology and water resource science and management
- Knowledge of flood plain management and land use planning
- Knowledge of bathymetric and land survey techniques, and soils and riverbank instability risk analysis
- Strong verbal communication skills with experience delivering technical presentations to a variety of audiences
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative and judgement.
- Leadership skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work co-operatively with internal and external stakeholders
- Effective written communication skills
- Supervisory experience
Reporting to the Director of Water Management, Planning and Standards, this position reviews, assesses and provides recommendations regarding the suitability of land use, both private and Crown, and developments with respect to hazards such as flooding, erosion and bank instability. The position reviews, provides direction, advice and information regarding private land subdivisions, crown land proposals (sales, leases, easements, permits etc.), development plans and zoning by-laws, as well as individual inquiries for locations throughout Manitoba. It is responsible to provide design flood information, flood protection recommendations, and geotechnical advice in respect of developments upon lands adjacent to water bodies and waterways to the public, consultants (engineering, legal, the insurance etc.), other government agencies (municipal, provincial, federal) and landowners.
Advertisement # 35168
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3H8
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.