Senior Hydrometric Technologist
TE2 Technical Engineering Officer 2
Hydrologic Forecasting and Water Management, Technical Services and Operations
Advertisement Number: 37575
Salary(s): TE2 $63,673.00 – $76,696.00 per year
Closing Date: May 27, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Founded on proven areas of expertise, the Technical Services and Operations Division (TSO) is proactive and collaborative working in teams to develop policies, processes and programs. Relationships are based on mutual trust and respect. Communication is honest, open and inclusive. Divisional processes are current, documented and clear and aligned with Government Policy. TSO fosters a learning environment that helps employees to actively collaborate and seek the knowledge, information, training and tools to deliver excellence in our services. Employees have clear and well defined roles that reflect the common vision and are recognized for their expertise by external and internal partners. TSO provides a safe and professional environment with the tools, technology and knowledge management systems to deliver benchmark services.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must have valid class 5 drivers licence.
- Must be able to work extended hours and shift work.
- Must be willing and able to travel within Manitoba.
- Must be able to work in an outdoor rough terrain environment in both winter and summer in extreme temperatures.
- Must be able to work around water, traffic and heights.
- Completion of a post-secondary diploma or degree in one of the following disciplines/programs (with emphasis on hydraulics and hydrology): Water Resources, Civil Engineering Technology, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering Technology, Civil Engineering, Geoscience.
- Experience in the use of surveying techniques.
- Experience working with environmental monitoring stations and equipment.
- Experience working with and troubleshooting electrical and mechanical components.
- Experience working with specialized hydrometric monitoring equipment.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to effectively manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative and judgment.
- Strong verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively and courteously with internal and external contacts.
- Good leadership skills with the ability to assign tasks and direct work as required.
The Hydrologic Forecasting and Water Management branch provides a wide variety of technical services in support of water management in the Province of Manitoba. Water monitoring data collected through Manitoba’s province-wide surface water monitoring is essential to providing these services. The Senior Hydrometric Technologist is responsible for operation of Manitoba’s province-wide surface water monitoring program to the standards required by Environment and Climate Change Canada’s National Hydrometric Program. Responsibilities include:
- Providing validated and quality assured / quality controlled data to the National Hydrometric Program Databank, the Hydrologic Forecast Center, the Hydrologic Operations Section, and other stakeholders.
- Coordinating and supervising staff involved in the collection and validation of hydrometric data.
- Operating and maintaining surface water monitoring stations throughout the province.
- Assisting in planning for expansion and reallocation of monitoring resources.
- Researching and evaluating new technologies for inclusion in the Provincial surface water monitoring program.
Advertisement # 37575
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3H8
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source