SO1-2 Sheriff Officer
With a possibility of Term/Full-Time work frequency.
Sheriff Services, Courts Division
The Pas MB
Advertisement Number: 37038
Salary(s): SO1-2 $21.59 – $27.96 per hour Plus Remoteness Allowance and Northern Premium, if applicable.
Closing Date: January 29, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Please be aware you are responsible for following the Public Health Orders as directed by the Province of Manitoba found at https://manitoba.ca/covid19/restartmb/prs/orders/index.html.
Applicants are encouraged to apply via email, if available. When submitting your application via email, fax or mail, please ensure the competition number is included in the subject line.
If you are successful at the interview, a mandatory unpaid training program of approximately 3-4 weeks (full days Monday to Friday) is required. The training dates are to be determined. Following successful completion of the training program, candidates will be hired as part-time term Sheriff’s Officers. Regular full-time positions are then subsequently filled with part-time employees.
To be considered for this competition candidates ARE REQUIRED to submit the Application Form for screening, along with your resume, to the Civil Service Commission by email (email@example.com), quoting 37038 and position title in the subject line. Resumes may be used in addition to the Applicant Form for screening purposes. Note that candidates will only be invited to an interview if they have satisfactory met the requirements stated in the Application form.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- A satisfactory enhanced security check. A Criminal Record Check, Adult Abuse Registry Check and a Child Abuse Registry Check are mandatory and must be obtained prior to the commencement of Sheriff’s Officer Training. Applicants who have a criminal record will not be precluded from the remainder of the competition process, however, may be required to provide a hard copy (Transcript of Convictions) of their criminal record to Human Resource Services. All successful applicants will be subject to a background security clearance check prior to training.
- A satisfactory medical fitness report will be required prior to the commencement of Sheriff’s Officer Training
- Full Class 4 Driver’s License (4F)
- Satisfactory Driver’s Abstract
- First Aid and CPR (level C) certificates
- The ability to travel within Manitoba (including small planes)
- Ability to work extended and flexible hours including short notice call ins is required
- Written communication skills
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Strong commitment to teamwork
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to interact with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Strong problem solving, decision making and sound judgement skills
- Experience handling stress and the unexpected effectively and responsibly
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Related education, training or experience in law enforcement or a similar field
- Ability to write clear and accurate reports
- Knowledge of the Court system and related processes and procedures
Responsible for escorting, guarding, transporting and maintaining control of persons in custody. Maintains order, security and decorum in all courts as required. Assists in the enforcement of Writs and court orders, including seizures and evictions, delivers various court documents and apprehends persons under bench warrants. More details of the duties for the Sheriff’s Officer position will be provided.
Interview: A satisfactory Driver’s Abstract, a photocopy of a Criminal Record Search, Adult Abuse Registry Check and Child Abuse Registry Check are mandatory and must be provided (or proof of request provided i.e. receipt) at the time of your interview. Applicants who have a criminal record will not be precluded from the remainder of the competition process, however, may be required to provide a hard copy (Transcript of Convictions) of their criminal record to Human Resource Services should the results indicate that there may or may not be a criminal record.
Training: A medical fitness report will be required prior to the commencement of Sheriff’s Officer Training. A Full Class 4 Driver’s License (4F), First Aid and CPR (level C) certificates are to be provided prior to the completion of training and before an offer of employment can be made.
Advertisement # 37038
Manitoba Justice HR
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg MB , R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source