XO3 Administrative Officer 3
Special Investigations Unit, Taxation Division
Advertisement Number: 36895
Salary(s): XO3 $57,344.00 – $71,586.00 per year
Closing Date: December 21, 2020
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions in Winnipeg and other locations across Manitoba and may remain in effect for 12 months. This competition may be used to appoint successful candidate(s) to current and future regular, term or acting status appointments subject to staffing approval.
Taxation Division is a division of the Department of Finance. On behalf of the government of Manitoba, the Taxation Division administers taxation legislation through information, compliance, audit and enforcement programs. As part of the Special Investigations Unit, the Special Investigator is responsible for compliance under the Tobacco Tax Act, the Retail Sales Tax Act, the Fuel Tax Act, and The Tax Administration and Miscellaneous Taxes Act.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must provide and maintain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Must be able to travel both inside and outside of Manitoba, including to various locations within Canada and the United States
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 Drivers licence
- Must be able to work irregular hours, evenings and weekends, and be away from the office for several days if needed
- Must be physically capable to perform the duties required of the position such as lifting 50 lbs.
- Graduate from a recognized Law Enforcement Training Program
- Extensive law enforcement experience in an investigative/operational capacity
- Extensive experience in developing, conducting, and concluding complex and/or Financial Crime investigations
- Experience obtaining and executing search warrants and related documents
- Experience preparing complex briefs of evidence, and knowledge of the required components of a detailed Court Brief
- Ability to work in a high demand, fast paced environment, and to meet prescribed deadlines
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively communicate and interact with various stakeholders
- Effective written communication skills
- Initiative and the ability to work with minimum supervision
- Experience planning, managing and conducting covert investigations and surveillence, including the use of covert electronic equipment
- Knowledge of rules and jurisprudence related to the handling of confidential informants and agents
The Special Investigator position is investigative in nature. This position is responsible for ensuring taxpayer/collector compliance with the provisions of the Tobacco Tax Act, Retail Sales Tax Act, Fuel Tax Act, and The Tax Administration and Miscellaneous Taxes Act. The Special Investigator actively carries out investigations concerning violations of the noted Acts, carrying them through the court process, and works at the prevention of tobacco smuggling under the Tobacco Interdiction Program. These duties include, but are not limited to, developing sources of information, preparing and executing search warrants, investigating offences involving tax evasion or tax fraud under the provincial statutes, conducting covert surveillance, preparing briefs of evidence and liaising with Crown Counsels throughout the court process.
Advertisement # 36895
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3H8
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source