Strategic Policy Analyst
P10 Professional Officer 10
Office of the Clerk of Executive Council
Advertisement Number: 2905
Closing Date: September 23, 2020
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Executive Council Office is responsible for ensuring Cabinet is equipped with the advice necessary for effective decision-making, and that the public service effectively executes on government’s priorities.
As a member of the Executive Council policy and governance team, the Senior Strategic Analyst is responsible to lead and manage the development, coordination and integration of high profile and complex policy issues, providing strategic advice and support to the Assistant Deputy Minister and Clerk of the Executive Council and Cabinet Secretary.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Successfully complete a security check
- University degree in politics studies, public administration, or a related field and several years of related experience.
- Extensive experience in policy development with strong analytical skills including the ability to apply a systems/whole of government lens to analysis. The incumbent should have experience in developing policy that extends across multiple departments.
- Advanced leadership and interpersonal skills, with the demonstrated ability to negotiate, foster collaboration and consensus, and lead others through influence rather than direct authority.
- Political acumen demonstrated through experience providing strategic advice to senior leaders on complex topics and sensitive issues.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to prepare brief, concise and accurate briefing materials that distill complex issues for decision-makers.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage opportunities for innovation, find creative solutions to issues, and successfully manage change.
- Supports the Clerk of the Executive Council and ADM by developing strategic options, comprehensive policy advice and recommendations using internal and external expertise.
- Coordinates multi-department and whole of government policy development, ensuring medium- to long-term strategic alignment.
- Provides a challenge function for major government policy submissions, applying a systemic, whole of government lens that balances departmental pressures with central government priorities.
- Builds and manages relationships with external policy think tanks and other non-governmental partners to forecast needs and inform long-term strategic policy options.
- Develops and implements accountability mechanisms that include evaluation, performance measures (e.g. balanced scorecards), and reporting that apply across the Manitoba public service. Monitors performance measures and outcomes, and incorporates performance information into policy development work across the organization.
- Monitors the implementation of major policy decisions, by representing the priorities of Executive Council Office on steering committees and oversight bodies and providing support to Deputy Minister committees.
- Liaises with and coordinates multi-departmental responses to reports of Independent Officers of the Legislature.
- Provides leadership within internal communities of practice to ensure public servants are developing policy and programs using relevant approaches and in alignment with government priorities.
Advertisement # 2905
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3H8
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
View original article here Source