Victim Services Worker
SP4 Social Services Worker 4
Victim Services, Crown Law
Advertisement Number: 34871
Salary(s): SP4 $56,040.00 – $77,714.00 per year Plus Remoteness Allowance, if applicable.
Closing Date: March 18, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
The Victim Services Worker provides victims of crime with general information regarding the Criminal Justice System, short-term counselling, risk assessments, safety and protection planning and community referrals. This position is also responsible for working with victims to guide them through the complexities of the Justice System, providing analysis, interpretation and assessment of victim needs and ensuring the appropriate intervention.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Enhanced Security Screening
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Search
- Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Ability to travel within the service area
- A valid Manitoba Class 5F driver’s licence with access to a vehicle for business purposes
- Ability to travel to remote communties via airplane
- A Bachelor of Social Work degree or an equivalent related Social Sciences degree, equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered
- Extensive case management experience in the social services field
- Knowledge of the effects of trauma, grief and loss
- Experience working with victims of domestic violence or child abuse
- Knowledge of domestic violence
- Knowledge of Indigenous culture including an understanding of the history and justice related issues
- Ability to work co-operatively and constructively as part of a team
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize a high volume of work
- Ability to work under pressure and to manage stress effectively while working in a high volume, high stress work environment
- Experience with Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel and Outlook) or equivalent applications
- Experience facilitating group sessions in a social services capacity
- Knowledge of Manitoba’s Victims’ Bill of Rights Act, The Domestic Violence and Stalking Act and other relevant provincial and federal legislation
The incumbent is responsible for interviewing, assessing and counselling victims of domestic violence, child abuse and victims of the most serious crimes as defined within the designated offences regulation of The Victims’ Bill of Rights Act, The Domestic Violence and Stalking Act and other relevant provincial and federal legislation. The incumbent is also responsible for guiding their clients through the criminal justice system process. The incumbent will provide assessments and counselling which include advising victims of their options, rights and responsibilities as victims of crime, while simultaneously enhancing the victim’s ability to make informed choices and increase their level of safety and the safety of those close to them.
Advertisement # 34871
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB , R3C 3L6
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.